Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well, The Rock and partners.

FINALLY, THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO ... PRO FOOTBALL!?

The WWE legend just teamed up with an investment group to snatch up Vince McMahon's XFL league for $15 million, the league confirms in a statement.

The league had filed for bankruptcy after being resurrected for the 2020 season -- and was supposed to be auctioned off to highest bidder on Monday.

But, Dwayne Johnson and his partners -- Dany Garcia (Rock's business partner and ex-wife) and partners at RedBird Capital (led by Gerry Cardinale) -- swooped in and bought it up this weekend before it hit the auction block.

The deal must now be approved in bankruptcy court on Friday -- and if everything goes smoothly, it could close by August 21.

The Rock (along with Dany) and RedBird are reportedly 50/50 partners in the deal.

Remember, the XFL got off to a pretty decent start in 2020 -- but COVID essentially served as a death sentence to the league, forcing it to shut down in March.

The league filed for chapter 11 in April -- listing $10 to $50 million in debts.

The Rock issued a statement saying, "The acquisition of the XFL with my talented partners, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale, is an investment for me thatā€™s rooted deeply in two things - my passion for the game and my desire to always take care of the fans.""With pride and gratitude for all that Iā€™ve built with my own two hands, I plan to apply these callouses to the XFL, and look forward to creating something special for the players, fans, and everyone involved for the love of football.

The plan is to relaunch the league -- but so far, no timetable has been set.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I don't know much about XFL, but hasn't it always struggled? I'm not sure why they were so hot to buy it. Maybe I need to research XFL a little more to understand why someone would want it.

There's really no minor/developmental league that the NFL can pull from (besides college). Tons of people have tried over the years, not just the XFL, and they've all failed.

Trump even funded one back in the 80's I believe? There was an ESPN 30 for 30 on it called "Small Potatoes", really interesting documentary if you can find it.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Is it just me or does that seem cheap? 15mil isnā€™t a ton of money (el oh el)

if they could make it a legit league that isnā€™t over sensational over produced garbage Iā€™d watch it. NFL or some sort of professional league has been around for 100 years now. Thereā€™s got to be some room in the market for another league of a different flavor thatā€™s able to make some money.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Is it just me or does that seem cheap? 15mil isnā€™t a ton of money (el oh el)

if they could make it a legit league that isnā€™t over sensational over produced garbage Iā€™d watch it. NFL or some sort of professional league has been around for 100 years now. Thereā€™s got to be some room in the market for another league of a different flavor thatā€™s able to make some money.

All the failed alternate leagues sort of beg to differ. I actually enjoyed watching the latest XFL, as it was designed exactly as you describe. The talent was pretty awful, but honestly it was a decent watch. Problem was, no one really watched and no one really came to games, and Vince McMahon lost A TON of money, $15M is a drop in the bucket. Even McMahon called it a colossal failure. I don't know what it would take to make a successful league. The "good" players are going to stay in the NFL, because the pay gap is VERY wide.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, they are playing for the chance to make 10x that (honestly, any guy coming from XFL is only going to be making league minimum). And the ONE guy that had an outside shot, just got cut I believe.

Also have to remember the differences between new XFL and old XFL. Old XFL glorified the violence of the game, often encouraging it, while also encouraging grandiose celebrations. Whereas new XFL was the complete polar opposite, which is why I was so confused when they retained the XFL name.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info