Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Men's health, the fuck ?
Oh god damn, now complaining about the article source...

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mook

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Dude gets a sequel and immediately starts talking about a 3rd.

"Dunes story is so massive. So we aren't going to tell any of it in the first movie so I can justify more"

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Seent last night on HBO Max with my TV hardwired with LAN line. Looked good but I still have problems with hearing the words. Maybe just my sound bar? We all liked it but I felt it was missing something. I watched the original prolly a hundred times when it came out and all I can remember from it was everyone repeating “the spice” and “sand worms” I need to rewatch the original again.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Seent last night on HBO Max with my TV hardwired with LAN line. Looked good but I still have problems with hearing the words. Maybe just my sound bar? We all liked it but I felt it was missing something. I watched the original prolly a hundred times when it came out and all I can remember from it was everyone repeating “the spice” and “sand worms” I need to rewatch the original again.
Sound bar is down mixing multi-channel tracks. Its a problem most thing have. Honestly, a "sound bar" is a joke for multi-channel audio. You can do some interesting tricks with stereo expansion, using a 2ch source. But what those sound bars are doing is probably downmixing the Atmos track into a 2ch sound field expanded stage. Its not really effective. A sound bar can really only be a 3ch experience. Maybe 3.1 at the most. Left, Center, Right, Subwoofer. That usually works pretty good. But sometimes the down mix is crap and dialogue gets muddled.

You can do a lot with 2ch audio, if you can 100% isolate the left and right ears. Example? HRTF audio recordings. Freaking insane. sound coming out you from all angles.

This is a classic demo of HRTF audio recording using 2 channels. It simulates the way the human ear directs audio to the timpanim membrane. In order for it work you MUST wear ear phones.

What you really need to fix the audio dialog issue is a true 2ch stereo track that re

Reactions: GLADIATOR

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Sound bar is down mixing multi-channel tracks. Its a problem most thing have. Honestly, a "sound bar" is a joke for multi-channel audio. You can do some interesting tricks with stereo expansion, using a 2ch source. But what those sound bars are doing is probably downmixing the Atmos track into a 2ch sound field expanded stage. Its not really effective. A sound bar can really only be a 3ch experience. Maybe 3.1 at the most. Left, Center, Right, Subwoofer. That usually works pretty good. But sometimes the down mix is crap and dialogue gets muddled.

You can do a lot with 2ch audio, if you can 100% isolate the left and right ears. Example? HRTF audio recordings. Freaking insane. sound coming out you from all angles.

This is a classic demo of HRTF audio recording using 2 channels. It simulates the way the human ear directs audio to the timpanim membrane. In order for it work you MUST wear ear phones.

What you really need to fix the audio dialog issue is a true 2ch stereo track that re

I actually switched from an optical cable to an hdmi and it improved comprehending speech/dialogue. Not great but better. Really want a good home theater sound system

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Finally went and saw this in IMAX over the weekend since it came back. I enjoyed it, but I don't fully understand what I saw. Some of the dialog in the theater was muffled, so it was hard to understand what they were saying part of the time.

Looking forward to rewatching this on 4k UHD with subtitles at home next month when it's released.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Finally went and saw this in IMAX over the weekend since it came back. I enjoyed it, but I don't fully understand what I saw. Some of the dialog in the theater was muffled, so it was hard to understand what they were saying part of the time.

Looking forward to rewatching this on 4k UHD with subtitles at home next month when it's released.
There were like 5 total lines of dialogue, so you didn't miss much.

• Haha
Reactions: blue-sun and Mook

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Went and saw this. As a fan of the book it is a let down. The world is great IMO, the plot got butchered entirely. Main characters that don't exist, deaths way out of turn, stuff just not said and that didn't happen. Almost none of the complexity of the books.

I will say the helicopter ride in the sand storm was absolutely harrowing and extremely well done.

Reactions: blue-sun

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Movie was a 2 hours and 36 minutes trailer for the actual movie. Also, it should have been a tv show.

Come roast me.
There's a lot of unpack in this movie. Just about 3 hours and it's half a story. Felt like a 3 hour intro. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
I finished this last night. Went in with super high expectations given all the things I've heard, but I feel exactly like you guys. I couldn't believe when the movie ended. I wasn't fully paying attention at the start so I thought I needed to watch it again to better understand the whole political setup they have going on, but now that it's done I don't really think I care to watch it again.

They did a great job casting this and the cinematography was awesome, but 2.5 hours to basically show one attack plus some side stories to set the stage for the next movie(s), c'mon. I'm not surprised they're pushing for a 3rd movie considering they didn't get very far in the first. Seems they'll get away with it too, most critics loved it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I finished this last night. Went in with super high expectations given all the things I've heard, but I feel exactly like you guys. I couldn't believe when the movie ended. I wasn't fully paying attention at the start so I thought I needed to watch it again to better understand the whole political setup they have going on, but now that it's done I don't really think I care to watch it again.

They did a great job casting this and the cinematography was awesome, but 2.5 hours to basically show one attack plus some side stories to set the stage for the next movie(s), c'mon. I'm not surprised they're pushing for a 3rd movie considering they didn't get very far in the first. Seems they'll get away with it too, most critics loved it.

It would have been okay in my mind if they didn't skirt the political complexity of the actual book as well as the nature of Paul's abilities which were underwhelming. In the book he has abilities you would really equate to say a Marvel or DC Character. Totally superhuman. That never really came out.

Dune is divided into 3 acts and this roughly ended where the first one did in the book.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info