Dual sport riding in Baldwin,MI 2017 v. 2.0

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Decided to finally take my bike out and get it dirty and get in some intermediate trail riding . I was super excited as [MENTION=4838]1MEANGT[/MENTION] and I loaded up our bikes in his super comfy couch on wheels and headed off for Michigan. We arrived and unloaded our gear and bikes at the cabin and quickly got settled in for the first morning of riding awaited me....

Woke up and we were greeted by a thin layer of frost on the bikes and the cool, crisp air made me that much more excited to get out there . A quick stop to buy my ORV passes and we were off. To my dismay, the first few hundred yards of the " little o" trail we rode was washed out sand and not much hard pack. I was completely out of my element as the bike shot left , right and just totally unpredictable. I pushed through it knowing once we got further into the woods , the damn deep sand had to diminish , and it did.

That's where it happened.... I got hooked the minute the dirt came on and I was able to shoot the bike up and through the whoops and high bermed turns. Such a blast !! The Drz held its own even though it's reasonably heavy , I felt confident and planted most of the time and was getting faster and cleaner lines.

What I didn't account for is the physical fatigue. I was so tense from the sand and the fear of falling , I was death gripping the bars and was really rigid over the constant whoops that my forearms and quads were spent about 20 miles into the trail . It's when I was getting mentally and physically sloppy that I dropped the bike twice at less than 5 mph in sandy turns. We called it a day for day one and headed back to the cabin for some homemade burgers .

Day two we decided to hit the little manistee trail as it was longer and a bit easier to travel due to my fatigue from day 1. Upon arrival we were faced with an ORV entrance road that was apx 10 feet wide and contained at least 8-10 inches of sand. Both of us were aired down but still just skated through this road until we both got buried and decided to get the hell out of there and just hit an intermediate/ expert trail about 15 miles up the road.

Enter Tin cup. This trail was badass but really lived up to its difficulty rating. It was a directional dedicated bike trail and was no wider than a foot at times. We tackled this trail for a few miles and then came upon the elevation changes. Man these were tough as you were looking at high grades , more lovely sand, and about 50-75 feet in length. Mike shot up the first one , full throttle in 1st gear just roosting the whole way up. I muttered yolo in my helmet and tractored up the same line he did. I made it about 80% of the way until I bounced off a tree root , halting any momentum I had. He pushed me up as I throttled out but man what a rush and accomplishment. Zero falls the whole day ! We hit a little more and decided to move on to the third and final trail " BIG O"

Big O was accessible through the little O system so we re-rode a decent section of the little and eventually hit the Big section and hit that hard. It was an easier trail but offered some interesting sized puddles the size of small ponds we had to cross.

All in all these Michigan trail systems were awesome because in 48 hours of riding, you encounter sand, dirt, mud, baby head sized rock , elevation changes, roots, high bowl berms, and mild to wild whoops. The weather was a constant 74 and beautiful once noon came around and you couldn't ask for a better weekend to ride trails. I learned SO much this being my first time and super excited to hit more trail systems in Moab next year.

Obviously special thanks to Mike as he taught me a lot and took us up in the awesome Ecoboost. I'm hoping others will get the itch and join next time ! You know who you are....

f13dafedfb79478a256a8e72de43d6b8.jpg

7950652797d5646ff5410860b8d1f362.jpg

0a93bf1d31d49582fb525fa55f9de8bb.jpg

3f054d417aa2ffb9b4cf0aee0a949396.jpg

b532cef27f154142636b3cc4c4cde8bb.jpg

ca9ed0d7b4892256826413b0a1509b08.jpg

2145dd8b0f926d3f3db489308d8cca87.jpg

9566d58cd74bff541119397cc497929b.jpg

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
2nd time up there this year. Had an awesome time as usual and so happy Will finally hit some real trail riding. The trails up in MI are pretty awesome. Although I could really do without the deep sandy parts. They are sketchy and tiring. But overall they are just sections to push through.

Tin cup was pretty knarly and as I was blasting up that last climb I was very worried Will was not going to make it. Waiting up top around a bend I finally saw him coming up and get stuck right at the top. Was impressed he made it most of the way up!!!

Now that I have him hooked looking forward to some new adventures next year. I really need to put together a new thread documenting my CO trip I did in September.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
God damn your truck looks good.

Still confused why Ford never did Magnetic Metallic for the Raptors.

I still need a dual sport, don't I?

Thanks man! Ford does offer Magnetic Metallic on the new Raptors. Absolutely love the color and the 2015 ecoboost. Truck V2.0 has turned out exactly how I wanted it.

AND YES!!! You need a dual sport. We almost have [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] convinced. :fy:

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
[MENTION=5706]willsmysticcobra[/MENTION] how long have you been doing all this for?

I bought this bike in July and have been slowly building it for a weekend trip.

Mike and I agreed the DRZ isn't great at anything but it's good at everything.

Sure a 2 stroke will rip across the sand and be much less punishing on your body due to it's lower weight, but it's bad ass to be able to beat on a trail , hop on a highway and cruise at 80 mph and hop back on a trail across town.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info