Dual sport bro’s

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I’ve always wanted a drz400sm, at the current point in time I feel like I’d probably get more use out of it off road than on, and started looking toward the drz400s but I didn’t know if they are the same power wise and if it’s worth the extra little bit of money for the suspension on the sm, or if you guys have a different recommendation in the same price range, I want something that is as at home off road as it it on but don’t want to limit myself to an off road only bike

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
What type of off road riding are you planning on doing? This will help answer what bike you should get. Also, do you want a SM setup as well as a dirt setup?

If you plan on doing more then just fire roads and easy trails I would pass on the KLR. Not that it cannot do it but it will be a lot more work as it is a bigger and heavier bike. Plus I like the fact that the DRZ is liquid cooled.

The DRZ400 is a great all around bike. If you plan on wanting a SM setup for it then I would just buy a SM. It is much cheaper to get dirt wheels and tires to swap when you want to ride off road.

If you are not that interested in having both the dirt and SM setup I would look for the S. Usually you can find them a little cheaper then the SM models. The suspension on the S is pretty good from the factory for off road. More travel and ground clearance.

There is no power difference between the S and SM. They are the exact same motor wise. You will want to uncork and rejet either one if it has not been done by the previous owner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 1quick
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list