• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Dual cold air intake idea

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
This seems like a good idea to me, but before I go out and buy parts I want to know if this is worth my time and $20 or not.

I was thinking of removing the fog lights and putting heating ducts in their place running them into the engine bay. I have seen this done with 60s cars when they would take out the high beam headlights and run air induction into the air filter.

I have no intention in messing with the air filter or running it into the cars supercharger piping. I would like to just run air from the fog light area into the engine bay itself. The reasoning being this car overheats easily when it's above 90 and I want to use the A/C.... especially in the city.

I am personally fine with windows down and know the nature of the beast, but my passengers aren't always as accepting. Plus it would be nice to know I can keep the car cooler if this actually is effective. I am totally fine with losing the fog lights, they are useless anyway... stock ones at least.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
If you are just trying to reduce underhood temps, the only time your mod will be effective is when you are moving at higher speeds. And that probably won't happen much in the city.

Most cars don't overheat when they are moving, but rather at lower speeds when air isn't flowing through the radiator. If your car is actually overheating, you need to look at doing something to the cooling system. Perhaps have a lower temp t-stat installed (cheap and easy), change the temps that the fans come on (perhaps through a handheld tuner or aftermarket flash), or improve your radiator setup (bigger radiator, better fans).

Also, what kind of car?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
IMG951729_zps22ca1e0d.jpg

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
This advice is not legit.

Prove it. The front end on a car is designed to do two functions: reduce drag and to force the air to go through the radiator/engine bay. Test it, your engine temps will go up if you duct your fog lights into the engine bay.

P.S. if your car is overheating in 90* weather, something is wrong with it.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Prove it. The front end on a car is designed to do two functions: reduce drag and to force the air to go through the radiator/engine bay. Test it, your engine temps will go up if you duct your fog lights into the engine bay.

Have you ever seen a foglight that allows air to pass through it?

Man I could rape you right now but Ill just leave it be.
Move along....

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005

No. It just has a lot going on and in the end needs a bigger intercooler. Not using the A/C and it's fine. It can be 110 and I could use the A/C at highway speeds and be fine.

I just wanted to find out if ducing the fog lights would be effective. Apparently not unless this is highway speeds, even that sounds questionable.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Re-read the first post!
Fail

His dual intake into the engine bay (Not the engine intake) idea to lower engine temps. Are you sure you read it? He wanted to give air a bypass around the radiator(s). As I said, this s would cause the engine to run the same or hotter. Please explain how I am wrong, I am genuinely curious at this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info