📸 Photography DSLR and Mirrorless Camera Chat

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Same here, it’s 100% hobby, but if I’m going to invest in it, I’m going to do it right.

Was thinking the Perseid meteor shower peaks in a few weeks. Typically I’ve been using my 7200/7500 with the cheap 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 it came with for a nice wide view, but have to run the ISO anywhere from 1600-6400 depending on how bright they are. Looked at ultra-fast prime wide angles, fuck me.

Fortunately my dad has a 24mm f/1.8 FX I can use along with his D810 (or is it a D800?). I just have to drive to southeastern KY to get it, lol.

ohhh I will have to check this out. Now that I live out away from the city I can get decent shots without all the light pollution. i have a 35mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.8 that would work well.

this is a hobby for me too but have done some paying gigs as a 3rd for a wedding photographer on occasion shooting the churches, venues, and photo booth type stuff while the main and 2nd were following the bride and groom.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The difference just wasn’t worth the price for me, from reading the reviews it was minimal. The biggest thing with the 150-600 is getting it calibrated. Got any shots of your astrophotography? If you don’t mind going MF (I didn’t care because the main thing I use it for is night shots), Rokinon carries a 24/1.8 and a 14/2.8 for $500 & $300 respectively.

They also have a 16mm f.2.0 aspherical for 300. I've used that during my astro shots and its nice for the price.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The difference just wasn’t worth the price for me, from reading the reviews it was minimal. The biggest thing with the 150-600 is getting it calibrated. Got any shots of your astrophotography? If you don’t mind going MF (I didn’t care because the main thing I use it for is night shots), Rokinon carries a 24/1.8 and a 14/2.8 for $500 & $300 respectively.
Yeah, let me look around to see what I have that is decent. Last Astro attempt I did was the NEOWISE comet, but wasn’t under the best conditions.

There are no real good dark areas within 2 hours of the city. I was out south of Dixon to get the shots.

Down at my dad’s there is virtually no light pollution, but you’re in the foothills of the mountains, so it’s limited on how much sky you can see.

I have a friend of a friend with a place up in the Hiawatha National Forest in the UP, near Wetmore, MI. Gonna see if I can rent his cabin for the second weekend in August, which is the weekend before TCG Tour.

It’ll be great for a nice dark sky, but not sure what kind of open area there will be. Was there mostly during the day or coming back half lit after spend all day on the sleds zipping around the trails going from bar to bar. So my memory is a little foggy, lol.

I used this to find the dark areas. Just too much light pollution around here.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Yeah, let me look around to see what I have that is decent. Last Astro attempt I did was the NEOWISE comet, but wasn’t under the best conditions.

There are no real good dark areas within 2 hours of the city. I was out south of Dixon to get the shots.

Down at my dad’s there is virtually no light pollution, but you’re in the foothills of the mountains, so it’s limited on how much sky you can see.

I have a friend of a friend with a place up in the Hiawatha National Forest in the UP, near Wetmore, MI. Gonna see if I can rent his cabin for the second weekend in August, which is the weekend before TCG Tour.

It’ll be great for a nice dark sky, but not sure what kind of open area there will be. Was there mostly during the day or coming back half lit after spend all day on the sleds zipping around the trails going from bar to bar. So my memory is a little foggy, lol.

I used this to find the dark areas. Just too much light pollution around here.

This is where I would go for shooting and showers.

Nice quiet, dark spot. big parking lot. Sometimes a bunch of people show up for the big meteor showers. I would be out there from about 10pm til sunrise.

1626441722573.png

astro spot.PNG

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Nice quiet, dark spot. big parking lot. Sometimes a bunch of people show up for the big meteor showers. I would be out there from about 10pm til sunrise.

View attachment 94578

View attachment 94580
lol, that’s exactly where I’ve been going the last few years. For the comet I was in the west lot, and some asshat kept locking/unlocking their car to get in it, like every five minutes. Was killing everyone’s night vision with the LED lights flashing. Yelled at them at least five times.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
There are also a few farm field entry's along these two roads that can be used. Seems to be for allowing hunters to enter the area. I used one a few years ago to get away from the lights of people in the park itself. Problem was that when the dew point went up it got foggy. But was a solid quiet area.

1626450381763.png

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.

View attachment 94578

View attachment 94580

Probably 8 or so years ago I was out there for a meteor shower and it was crowded as fuck so I left and went down some random, probably private, drive and parked on the side of the road. Didn’t see a single person after that.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Probably 8 or so years ago I was out there for a meteor shower and it was crowded as fuck so I left and went down some random, probably private, drive and parked on the side of the road. Didn’t see a single person after that.
Pretty much what you have to do.

All it takes is one asshat to turn on their lights to ruin it for everyone. During NEOWISE people kept driving down the entrance road with their high beams on to see where to go, swerving back and forth. Then doing circles in the parking lot looking for a place to park.

Need a big sign at the entrance that says to turn off your lights and keep them off. If you don't know how to do this, don't enter, go sit in a McDonalds parking lot instead.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
No editing done, just cropped it a bit.

Nikon D7500, ISO 800, 300mm (DX crop mode, 600mm equivalent), 1/60th sec, f/6.3, Manual white balance @ 5560K

Wanted to go ISO 400 for less grain, but 1/20th - 1/30th sec at that focal length it started to introduce a bit of motion blur. And no, I didn't do any color adjustment. That's just how orange/brown it is from all the crap in the air, lol.
JL2_7774.jpg

Reactions: 69Nice and BS ISF

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Two more from tonight.

The smaller one is just after dusk using the same settings as last night. The larger one is using a t-adapter on a Meade ETX90 with a 1250mm focal length at f/13.8 (but camera fixes it at f/8). The entire telescope costs the same as just the Nikkor zoom lens, if that gives an idea of the quality of the telescope's front lens.

Also, the bottom one isn't cropped. It just barely fit on the DX sensor.

JL2_7797.jpg

JL2_7804.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info