📸 Photography DSLR and Mirrorless Camera Chat

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Somewhere I have an D7000 that we bought about 6 years ago new at Best Buy. If I had to guess I have less than 750 pictures taken on it, maybe 1000. I haven't used it in over 2 years, I should probably look into selling it as it just sits there.
Or use it, it's still a good shooting camera if you have decent glass for it. Or I should say, if the stock lenses are still in good shape.

There really isn't much more that my D7500 does that the D7200 can't do. Yeah I lost an SDHC slot, but gained fps and better video shooting. Minor things I'll probably never notice. Also gained two AF-P lenses, which focus stupid fast compared to the old ones (AF-S).

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
still don't know WTF I'm doing.

I took a few photography classes in HS and college. Never got really into depth on it, so I'm still a little lost when I use it as well.

Or use it, it's still a good shooting camera if you have decent glass for it. Or I should say, if the stock lenses are still in good shape.

There really isn't much more that my D7500 does that the D7200 can't do. Yeah I lost an SDHC slot, but gained fps and better video shooting. Minor things I'll probably never notice. Also gained two AF-P lenses, which focus stupid fast compared to the old ones (AF-S).

Stock lenses looks good AFAIK, I had a UV filter on it since day 1, so the lenses itself should be mint still.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Man and I’m over rocking a SLR film Nikon F2, Nikon FE, and a beat up Nikon D700 as my sole digital. Everything is fast prime lenses except I did finally break down and buy my first zoom lens last year. A 35-70mm f2.8 from the mid 90’s.
Fast prime are good. If they have an F mount you can use them on current DSLRs, just won’t have the autofocus.

I’m still going back and forth on whether to get a full frame DSLR or go mirrorless. Sony is king of mirrorless, but their white balance is a little goofy. Nikon Z6 II is appealing, but then I would have to get the FTZV adapter and shoot DX till I got FX lenses.

Tough call, so I keep using the two DX’s for now, and toss my older D3300 in my saddle bag if i need to.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Yeah that is why I love my good ol D700. It is a full frame DSLR and has a built in AF motor for the old mechanical focus lenses. It’s got no video capability at all though which I do feel would come in handy but ohh well. I have a 60mm 2.8 macro Nikon lens that has the built in AF motor. Everything else has the camera driven motor or no AF at all.

Actually I need to get the D700 to Nikon service. Some of the rubber has come off it and the remote shutter release has not been working as well. It’s got 100k clicks on it and still going strong other wise.

image.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah that is why I love my good ol D700. It is a full frame DSLR and has a built in AF motor for the old mechanical focus lenses. It’s got no video capability at all though which I do feel would come in handy but ohh well. I have a 60mm 2.8 macro Nikon lens that has the built in AF motor. Everything else has the camera driven motor or no AF at all.

Actually I need to get the D700 to Nikon service. Some of the rubber has come off it and the remote shutter release has not been working as well. It’s got 100k clicks on it and still going strong other wise.

View attachment 94384
Those are some nice fast lenses. Nikon has gotten stingy on who they let work on the camera. Basically screwing third party repair locations. Have to send it off to New York or California now.

My 7200 was sent to New York (Melville) 3x due to spots on the sensor. The last time they cleaned it I did 20 exposures and there were spots again.

Cleaned it myself, no spots after over 2000 clicks.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Those are some nice fast lenses. Nikon has gotten stingy on who they let work on the camera. Basically screwing third party repair locations. Have to send it off to New York or California now.

My 7200 was sent to New York (Melville) 3x due to spots on the sensor. The last time they cleaned it I did 20 exposures and there were spots again.

Cleaned it myself, no spots after over 2000 clicks.

yeah I’ve heard they are picky with 3 party service but really I’ve had the camera for 10 years so I’m not too picky. I may even order the rubber pieces and clean and install them myself.

I do love the vintage F mount fast primes. Something about the soft corners and distortion from imperfections in the glass that I really like when shooting my wide open and on the old film camera it’s just fun.

Also you technically can use DX lenses on the Full frame camera. I used to love shooting the DX 35mm 1.8 on my camera. depending on the focus it would have a strange black border but I’d crop it out without a problem.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, they shoot at 1.3x crop. FX glass is typically higher quality so I’d go with some new lenses.

I have an 18-300 f/3.5-6.3 (DX), and my friend has the same 18-300 f/3.5-5.6 (FX) and you can see the difference in sharpness. Don’t even have to be a pixel peeper to notice. He has a gray market Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 that is just ridiculously tack-sharp throughout the focal range.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Shit this reminds me. We are having some family over at the new house this weekend. I have to get my camera shit here before then. I don’t have my flashes or tripod. Also she wants pictures of each room too so I’ll need my 24mm.
A good 10-20mm works well for that. Have to correct the image a bit at 10-13 or 14mm though.

Bought one for landscapes when we went to Colorado Springs.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Got another one done:

Edit:

This one is at 30 second intervals for four hours, at 1080p30.

I think tomorrow I'll start it about an hour later, let it run an hour longer, and see if I can't limit the shutter speed so when it gets dark, it'll actually look dark. The last 20 exposures were all around 10 seconds to pull in whatever light it could at ISO 400.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have a Sony A7r2, and a Panasonic GH5 with a few lenses. Looking to sell both and buy either a canon R5 or a Sony A7SIII. I primarily do video
Careful with the R5, they're prone to over-temping while shooting hi-res video. Same with the R6.

I've heard good things about the A7SIII for video, along with the Nikon mirrorless.

I'm really tempted with the A7III, but it's already two years old. Maybe if they give it a refresh I'll consider it. The A7R models (III, IV) are really nice, but you sacrifice FPS for megapixels. I like my big images so I can get some excellent detail and still crop. However I like the faster FPS for action shots. Really don't want to have two bodies to cover both of those.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Careful with the R5, they're prone to over-temping while shooting hi-res video. Same with the R6.

I've heard good things about the A7SIII for video, along with the Nikon mirrorless.

I'm really tempted with the A7III, but it's already two years old. Maybe if they give it a refresh I'll consider it. The A7R models (III, IV) are really nice, but you sacrifice FPS for megapixels. I like my big images so I can get some excellent detail and still crop. However I like the faster FPS for action shots. Really don't want to have two bodies to cover both of those.
Yea and if it wasn’t for the overheating issue the R5 is pretty much the most capable hybrid camera on the market (at least on paper) The A7SIII has only a 12mp sensor. Yet my a7r2 from 2016 does 42mp.
Also rented a Panasonic S1-H a few years back and a sigma 35mm f1.2 lens. It was pretty capable but it had some drawbacks. It shout video in an odd 6K format or in 4K 60 FPS but that was only available in crop mode. Here’s a video with that setup

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yea and if it wasn’t for the overheating issue the R5 is pretty much the most capable hybrid camera on the market (at least on paper) The A7SIII has only a 12mp sensor. Yet my a7r2 from 2016 does 42mp.
Also rented a Panasonic S1-H a few years back and a sigma 35mm f1.2 lens. It was pretty capable but it had some drawbacks. It shout video in an odd 6K format or in 4K 60 FPS but that was only available in crop mode. Here’s a video with that setup

The smaller sensor is so that it does better under low light conditions and can shoot a faster frame rate.

42MP is nice, but that camera topped out at 5 FPS.

My 2016 D7200 is 24MP and does 7 FPS, and cost less than half as much ?

The 7500 dropped to 20MP, but the low light sensitivity (and EV range) increased, as well as FPS (and buffer).

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Maybe you should look into an A9 then?? What do you do that requires such rapid fire?
Way outside of my budget. Occasionally sports and other actions where I like to get good stopped-motion. 10-12fps is good, as long as I can do about 80-100 shot bursts in buffer. 20fps and like 350 in buffer is pro level that I’ll never capitalize on.

There is rumor of Sony announcing an A7IV end of Q2 or Q3 this year. That will probably cover what I’m looking for.

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
What do you think of that Sigma 150-600? My dad has one, and I've tried it a few times, but the quality is just "meh".

I like it- I couldn’t bring myself to spend $3-6k on an L series telephoto so I got the Sigma contemporary for a little over $1,000. IIRC I had to calibrate it on the usb dock but it’s been solid. Next timeI’m on my desktop I’ll grab some of the full-size…these are from my phone. FWIW I do it as a hobby, not professionally or as a side gig so my standards may not be as high.

91C8406B-D781-4FFE-9E62-E64884604652.jpeg

2D26DA87-4878-4812-A7DE-56A49431A4CC.jpeg

234949A2-2232-4764-9EFA-006578D04717.jpeg

CB56055E-31B5-408D-A848-3A13D3B39521.jpeg

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Same here, it’s 100% hobby, but if I’m going to invest in it, I’m going to do it right.

Was thinking the Perseid meteor shower peaks in a few weeks. Typically I’ve been using my 7200/7500 with the cheap 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 it came with for a nice wide view, but have to run the ISO anywhere from 1600-6400 depending on how bright they are. Looked at ultra-fast prime wide angles, fuck me.

Fortunately my dad has a 24mm f/1.8 FX I can use along with his D810 (or is it a D800?). I just have to drive to southeastern KY to get it, lol.

Reactions: blue-sun

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
Same here, it’s 100% hobby, but if I’m going to invest in it, I’m going to do it right.

Was thinking the Perseid meteor shower peaks in a few weeks. Typically I’ve been using my 7200/7500 with the cheap 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 it came with for a nice wide view, but have to run the ISO anywhere from 1600-6400 depending on how bright they are. Looked at ultra-fast prime wide angles, fuck me.

Fortunately my dad has a 24mm f/1.8 FX I can use along with his D810 (or is it a D800?). I just have to drive to southeastern KY to get it, lol.

The difference just wasn’t worth the price for me, from reading the reviews it was minimal. The biggest thing with the 150-600 is getting it calibrated. Got any shots of your astrophotography? If you don’t mind going MF (I didn’t care because the main thing I use it for is night shots), Rokinon carries a 24/1.8 and a 14/2.8 for $500 & $300 respectively.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info