đź’¦ Detailing Dry Ice Cleaning v. Obsessed Garage E36 M3

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
There are 2 videos out so far. The first video explains the process and the equipment. A short example using old wheel weight adhesive is around the 38 minute mark of the first video.

The second video starts with more information about the process. The wheel well is started around the 8 minute mark. If you want instant gratification then skip to where he starts some of the suspension and the oil pan around the 37 and 41 minute mark.
Yes, watched both videos in their entirety.

If you don't want to watch the videos, pictures can be seen here:

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I have many hours of cryo-blasting while refurbishing heavy industrial equipment.

I think the manufacturer was CryoClean out of Cleveland, OH. The biggest expense we faced in starting up was the air compressor. We ended up just renting a tow behind diesel Caterpillar compressor and back to backing our jobs to economize on the rental costs. Then take back the rental, build the expense back into the jobs. And not have the capital expense of the high output compressor. These critters use a LOT of air when you are trying to sandblast with bullet sized nuggets. Shaved ice not so much.

One can buy the dry ice in many styles and quantities. We found best success with 2 carboys, one filled with pellets a little smaller than a .22 LR bullet. The other one was filled with shaved dry ice.

We used a 4" hose and you wore it like a bazooka over the shoulder. The media used for blasting was chosen by what you were doing - We did a lot of printing presses with really nasty wet ink covered sideframes and all the moving fiddlybits in there too. This got the big pellets. When they hit they initially displaced grease deposits and lighter/more easily blasted materials. Then the extreme cold would freeze the wet ink, and then the next pass would shatter the frozen nasty business. Next pass blows the shattered nasty stuff away, it falls to the ground and the dry ice just disappears - called sublimation - goes from solid to gas with no transition to liquid.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I have many hours of cryo-blasting while refurbishing heavy industrial equipment.

I think the manufacturer was CryoClean out of Cleveland, OH. The biggest expense we faced in starting up was the air compressor. We ended up just renting a tow behind diesel Caterpillar compressor and back to backing our jobs to economize on the rental costs. Then take back the rental, build the expense back into the jobs. And not have the capital expense of the high output compressor. These critters use a LOT of air when you are trying to sandblast with bullet sized nuggets. Shaved ice not so much.

One can buy the dry ice in many styles and quantities. We found best success with 2 carboys, one filled with pellets a little smaller than a .22 LR bullet. The other one was filled with shaved dry ice.

We used a 4" hose and you wore it like a bazooka over the shoulder. The media used for blasting was chosen by what you were doing - We did a lot of printing presses with really nasty wet ink covered sideframes and all the moving fiddlybits in there too. This got the big pellets. When they hit they initially displaced grease deposits and lighter/more easily blasted materials. Then the extreme cold would freeze the wet ink, and then the next pass would shatter the frozen nasty business. Next pass blows the shattered nasty stuff away, it falls to the ground and the dry ice just disappears - called sublimation - goes from solid to gas with no transition to liquid.

this is awesome. The first video does mention the compressor being very important.
I think I may reach out to Scott Ales and see what he and Matt from OG are cooking up. I would love to get into something like this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info