Dry Aged Steak? Do It At Home!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you have ever had a dry aged steak, you may agree with me that the "steak" flavor is concentrated by the dry aging. Each bite is a burst of great tasting "steakness".

Turns out, it's ridiculously easy to dry age steaks yourself.

Buy a kit that contains a long bag and a fiber pad.

You put a whole ribeye or other steak product into the bag and use your vacuum sealer to suck all the air out. The fiber piece helps the vacuum sealer suck more air out. Double seal it, check it after it sits a while to make sure it isn't leaking air and then put it in your fridge for around 28 days.

Hardest part is telling the wife you are going to use a big shelf for 28 days. :smile:

Video tutorial. It's so easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMuWEhAWTc

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Those full ribeyes are $4.98 lb. by me. It costs around $90 to get one. Plus, they're local meat that was butchered right by the store. Can't wait to have a few people over and not tell them until we're ready to eat.

I saw another vid where the host cooked one regular, similar ribeye so everyone could try a bite of each to compare.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
They're around $50 or more at decent restaurants. Dry aged steak has a love it or hate it concentrated beef flavor. It's like beef flavor on steroids. Once you have it, you'll always recognize it. Plus they are usually a lot more tender because of the breakdown of the meat.

BTW, doing a little more research, you don't need the bag in my OP. You can just put them in the (empty) fridge the way they are. I don't know which method is best. I'll post when I eventually do it. A buddy may go halves with me on a ribeye and he has a fridge out in his workshop that we could use.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
ive never had a dry aged steak... where does one go to try one? some fancy ass place, i imagine?

Any decent steakhouse will have them. Capital grille, Morton's, Gibson's, Smith and Wollensky are the few I've had them at.

I'm not a huge red meat guy, but a good steak is a nice treat every now and then. I'll have to look into home dry aging for this summer. Sure beats $50+ per steak at a restaurant!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info