Drivers side valve cover leaking. How concerned should I be?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Bout a week ago I noticed some oil drippings in my garage. A quick check underneath saw it was coming from the rear main seal area where the trans and engine meet :ugh: but I know that i had my rear main seal replaced back in 09 when i had my ls7 clutch put in, and never saw drop 1 out of it, so I doubted that could be it. Finally crawled under the car tonight and saw that its really coming from my drivers side valve cover. Doesnt seem like its leaking a LOT right now. I wiped up the spot in my garage last week and havent noticed any new droppings since then. Failing gasket maybe? 90% of the time I drive the car like an 85 year old, so its not like its constantly beat on.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
How many miles on the car now?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
Reaction score
Could be, wipe it off the engine where you can see it, drive a couple days, see how much more you get. Drop or two, wouldn't worry about it yet, pissing out, change it.

Replaced the VCG on the 02 Cavalier at about 60k I want to say... could just be time.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
i suppose i should try that, but nothing is ever that simple. especially w/ cars :rofl: But youre right, that thought had crossed my mind. I'll keep an eye on it this week and see if it needs any tightening up when i can dig into it next weekend.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know off the top of their heads what the valve cover should be torqued to on a 241 head?

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
They are easy to overtighten, just give them like a half turn, wait a day and do it again.

I had this problem with mine, ended up replacing the gasket which is super easy and not that expenaive.

89-106 IN lbs... that is nothing... tighten from inside out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom