drilling into metal

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
Im trying to make metal brackets just out of flat strips of metal. And all my drill bits are having trouble getting through it. Ive broken a hand full of bits. Are there actual drill bits for metal? Ive looked all over, I see hardened, and zinc covered, etc.
Also looking for screws that will be easy to drill into metal, say like my car frame. Picked up some metal screws from Ace but theyre not going anywhere through it.
I have pics of what my project is if itll make it easier to see what im trying to do.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
sounds like you're just using some trashed bits that have been overheated. get yourself a fresh bit and use some oil on it. you don't need to put your whole body weight onto the drill either.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
A hardened bit slow the drill down a little and hit it with some wd40 once in a while

blck10th

Reaction score
Most steel is soft. Take and hit them with a file if it cuts with the file, drill bits from ace should go through it. If it screeches with the file the steel is hardened. I doubt it is however.

Holes should be started with a center drill it does not walk like a drill and then drill though with a drill bit. Drill bits like I use at work are made of high speed steel which is hardened and should go through just about everything normal people would drill through.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Get new bits and get some WD40 to cool down the bit while you're drilling. While you're drilling, just barely squeeze the nozzle to get a tiny flow of wd40 for a second or two every couple seconds.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Or use actual cutting fluid as wd-40 is thin and not ideal for cutting

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah, don't try to dry fuck the metal with the bit. Cutting fluid is your friend. A fresh bit, too. How big of a hole are you trying to make? How thick is the steel?

Reaction score
Try using a Christmas tree/stepped bit. Don't bother with any from harbor freight. They break better then they cut. If you're drilling into stainless then you need to go slow so it doesn't heat up and burn up your bits. Remember, you're trying to cut through the metal, not get it hot and punch through it. Doesn't work like that. Good luck and wear your safety glasses. Just had a friend get a metal sliver in his eyes, doc had to pick it out with a needle. He lost a whole line of vision in that eye.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Drill slow, use cutting fluid, and for really tough metals spring for a full carbide bit.

blck10th

Reaction score
I assume you're trying to do this with a hand drill? If you've already heated up the bracket it may be work hardened and then you need carbide/masonry bits. However masonry bits are poor for hole size accuracy.

I'm at work and if you're on my way home I can drop you the proper stuff pm me by 3:00 today.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
Ill post of pic of the brackets im drilling. But the oil and wd40 I didnt think of. Pretty much raw dogging the metal with the drill bit. And I do tend to go fast on it, not the highest setting on the drill but it aint slow. I try to drill through it first with a small bit to get a little hole so the screw has an easier time going through. Usually that results in a broken bit because its so small and im so manly :s00ls: I already broke a new high speed bit last night, a small one. Im probably pressing too hard on it.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a Hilti stepped bit that'll cut through anything like butter. Love that thing! [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION] :h5:

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
Ill go to the store and take a look for those hilti step bits. And thanks for the offer man, I think ill be alright, I just have a few more holes to go. That is a nice selection though lol

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
Cutting fluid, slow the speed down, drill in steps. If you're doing a 1/2" hole, start with a 1/4" then 3/8" then your 1/2".

HeavyG

Reaction score
What everybody else said plus...in the muffler area of the parts store they sell metal pieces can can be quickly made into brackets

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
Yea I get those flat 1" wide pieces of metal from menards or ace and bend them and what not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom