Dream Cars - What's your's?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Dream car no budget would probably be 1969 Boss 429 Cobra Jet.

1593531938509.png

Not sure if you can get the 70 Buick GS under 100k but that would be the one for that category.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's easier to answer if I don't think about it for more than two seconds, but I've experienced the true colors of my childhood "dream cars". They aren't all that.

I've driven an early 2nd gen Camaro. It's boring AF, and I'm not even a Chevy guy. That was all the experience I needed from that. I own a Grand National because it was my favorite car ever for my whole life. It's become a classic, and people who know what it is tend to get really excited to see it. I just hate how laborious and expensive it is to service, and BOY does it need a lot of service. It also breaks and tanks in value with every mile to the point where I don't even care to drive it anymore. It's cool, but as soon as I find a buyer willing to give me a good chunk of change for it I'm taking the money and running. For a little while my "dream" was to own a Volvo 242 GT, but half the reason I love old 240s is because of their stock reliability and all the fun activities with a wagon. 242s are slow and not even a wagon. Maybe I'm looking for a new "dream car". Will that ever happen? Doubtful. I'll never fall in love with a new car like I do with old iron. Today's cars can make as much power as they want, but I don't think I'll be too interested in them for another 20 years.

I've come to a conclusion. There are 0 cars in factory form that I can call my "dream" car because my car hobby is a bit different from most. My track record shows that I have the most fun with worthless cars that are destined for the junkyard. It's not about being flashy or even being "fast". There's just something very satisfying to me about taking an old POS with no right or reason to be on the street and turning it into something that enthusiasts would actually line up to buy. It takes a while but it's kinda fun to look at a car and realize that I've been through almost every single nut and bolt on the thing and still trust it to barrel down the road at 80 mph. For example, I wanted to build a racecar I chose a totally clapped out V6 Camaro, kept the V6 in it, and replaced the floors. It turned out way better than expected and it's not even close to done. When I think of an fun and reliable car to take on road trips, I think of a 30 year old Swedish station wagon. What's wrong with me?

I guess I don't even want a dream car. I'm perfectly happy with driving and building my rusty dumpsters. I've made big enough mistakes with car buying to realize that no car is ever exactly what it's cracked up to be.

walbsy

Jun 25, 2020
Naperville, IL
Real Name
Kyle Walburn
It's easier to answer if I don't think about it for more than two seconds, but I've experienced the true colors of my childhood "dream cars". They aren't all that.

I've driven an early 2nd gen Camaro. It's boring AF, and I'm not even a Chevy guy. That was all the experience I needed from that. I own a Grand National because it was my favorite car ever for my whole life. It's become a classic, and people who know what it is tend to get really excited to see it. I just hate how laborious and expensive it is to service, and BOY does it need a lot of service. It also breaks and tanks in value with every mile to the point where I don't even care to drive it anymore. It's cool, but as soon as I find a buyer willing to give me a good chunk of change for it I'm taking the money and running. For a little while my "dream" was to own a Volvo 242 GT, but half the reason I love old 240s is because of their stock reliability and all the fun activities with a wagon. 242s are slow and not even a wagon. Maybe I'm looking for a new "dream car". Will that ever happen? Doubtful. I'll never fall in love with a new car like I do with old iron. Today's cars can make as much power as they want, but I don't think I'll be too interested in them for another 20 years.

I've come to a conclusion. There are 0 cars in factory form that I can call my "dream" car because my car hobby is a bit different from most. My track record shows that I have the most fun with worthless cars that are destined for the junkyard. It's not about being flashy or even being "fast". There's just something very satisfying to me about taking an old POS with no right or reason to be on the street and turning it into something that enthusiasts would actually line up to buy. It takes a while but it's kinda fun to look at a car and realize that I've been through almost every single nut and bolt on the thing and still trust it to barrel down the road at 80 mph. For example, I wanted to build a racecar I chose a totally clapped out V6 Camaro, kept the V6 in it, and replaced the floors. It turned out way better than expected and it's not even close to done. When I think of an fun and reliable car to take on road trips, I think of a 30 year old Swedish station wagon. What's wrong with me?

I guess I don't even want a dream car. I'm perfectly happy with driving and building my rusty dumpsters. I've made big enough mistakes with car buying to realize that no car is ever exactly what it's cracked up to be.

That was deep.

On a side note, my buddy's dad had a 1975? "brown bomber" 240 wagon, diesel....eclipsed well over a million miles on that thing.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
That was deep.

On a side note, my buddy's dad had a 1975? "brown bomber" 240 wagon, diesel....eclipsed well over a million miles on that thing.

Lol I think it's more sad that I connect so spiritually to inanimate objects, but oh well. :LOL:

Siiiiiick! Brown Volvo wagons are like the holy grail. I love the idea behind a diesel 240, but I hate that it's a D24. If you think that an NA redblock is punishing to go WOT in... :( That lifespan is quite impressive though. They must have taken really good care of that car.

walbsy

Jun 25, 2020
Naperville, IL
Real Name
Kyle Walburn
Lol I think it's more sad that I connect so spiritually to inanimate objects, but oh well. :LOL:

Siiiiiick! Brown Volvo wagons are like the holy grail. I love the idea behind a diesel 240, but I hate that it's a D24. If you think that an NA redblock is punishing to go WOT in... :( That lifespan is quite impressive though. They must have taken really good care of that car.

Haha he did, the original color was brown, the other brown was all the rust.....but it was a solid unit for sure.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I don't think I really have a dream car. I like a whole bunch of cars, each for different reasons. My current cars keep me busy enough that I really don't think about owning anything else.

Under 100k: I'm honestly pretty happy with my '12 Boss 302. It does everything I want it to do. I'll stick with what I currently have.
IMG_20180508_090423_409.jpg

Under 250k: I like to turn wrenches and build things, so maybe something stupid like a Factory Five GTM, with lots of high end parts.
FFR-Gene-Bowling-GTM-Supercar-1_e4bbe50e47a1a7b5de93f94f7d58d876.jpg

Under 500k: Ferrari 488
341322.jpg

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

Behold!! Just look at it!! There is a new worlds most badass McLaren. Its a throwback to the F1 GTR

Its Orange and Gold and over 800hp

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I always been curious to see the different flavor of people....so assuming that money/maintenance/etc is no factor, what would you pick?

Under 100k?
Under 250k?
Under 500k?
No Limit?

For me....

Under 100k would be the new Shelby GT500
Under 250k would be the MB AMG GT R
Under 500k would be the Porsche Carrera GT (I would bargain hard)
No limit - Ferrari F40
Under 100k would be the shelby for me as well
Under 250k would be a GT3 RS
Under 500k would be the aventador SV
I never look at cars above that price range, but if money was no limit I'd buy a koenigsegg

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I've been always wanting an M3, almost bought one 5 years ago but went with the WRX. P85D or a P100D is also on the list, I'll realistically more likely get a P65D or maybe the P85D if I can find a decent price for a used one.

I've never thought too much about super cars, but probably an aventador or an F430 with the gated shifter. Maybe even a ZR1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info