Dreaded SECURITY Light Flashing...Car Not Running Problem

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Well, looks like the ignition is on its way out in my Blue Turbo Prix. From what I gather, it's a common problem in these cars. The car cranks and runs for about 3 seconds, then dies. Security light flashing the entire time. I tried the security re-learn, it didn't work. I kinda half-assed it though so maybe I will try again.

Question is this: Where do I start? Do I replace the Ignition Switch? and/or the Tumbler? The "Ignition Switch" when Google'd, brings up what is basically the Ignition Harness. Is there anything else that I'm missing that needs to be replaced?

The tumbler has all kinds of issues. It doesn't release the key 50% of the time, and you can pull the key out while driving. It has zero effect on the car, but clearly shouldn't be happening. One time, cruising down the highway with the kids, I pulled the key out...and they were freaking out!! LOL. Blew their minds! Haha.

Or, does anyone know of a different way to quickly bypass the system?

Also... There are places that rebuild tumblers. Which would allow me to keep the same 1 key, instead of needing 2 keys now (doors/ignition).

Thoughts on all this?

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Does your key have the resistor deal in it, my 98 regal had a resistor on the metal part of the key if it got dirty the security light would flash and the car wouldn’t start

No resistor on this key. Key for my other Grand Prix doesn't have a resistor either. Heard of that though. Must be a Regal only, W-body thing.

Has the car ever had an aftermarket remote start?

No. No after-market remote start or after-market alarm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info