• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical (Draft) 3800/4T80e Master Swap Guide

Ktj100

Jul 14, 2021
This document is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. I have a ton of info that I need to dig up from my brain, pictures, and conversations of me helping others work through their issues with their swaps. It will take a while to update to my current knowledge base of the swap.

CHOOSING YOUR 4T80e

Ratio Differences
-3.11, 3.48, 3.71 options in the 4T80e

PCM Compatibility if using the 4T65e PCM to control the 80e:
-1997-2002 PCM: pre-2000 4T80e
-2003+ PCM: 2000+ 4T80e
-1997-2002 PCMs can control 2000+ transmissions but will not allow manual 1st or manual 2nd gear commanded from the shifter: ___________ need elaboration on wiring needed for year incompatibility.
-Control of pre-2000 4T80e using a 2003+ PCM will technically work but the Pressure Control Solenoid won't last long due to the switch to a PWM signal that generates extra heat that the old solenoid is not built to handle. Need to check possibility of updating to a newer PCS during other transmission internal mods ______________

MOUNTING the 4T80:

1. TRIM ENGINE BLOCK: the engine block physically interferes with the tail of the 4T80, and needs to be trimmed so that they can be mated together. (pic by Jerry Gutierrez)
1666313680771.png
1666313699562.png

2. ADD BELL HOUSING BOLTS: the hole can be drilled in the transmission for to line up with the sensor fronts bellhousing threads in the 3800 block. (pic by Jerry Gutierrez)
1666313739830.png

-Some people recommend adding an additional connection in the back. This can be done by adding a stud to the engine block to go through the center rear bellhousing bolt hole of the 4T80.
3. RELOCATE REAR KNOCK SENSOR: per Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc it should go into a water jacket somewhere but I'm not sure why.
4. FLEX PLATE DIFFERENCE: The 4T65e uses a 3-bolt pattern while the 80e uses a 4-bolt. Available solutions are as follows:
---Drill a 4T65 flexplate with the four bolt pattern of the 4T80 torque converter
---You can purchase a torque converter through Circle D/LS4 King that is for the 4T80 but has both the three bolt pattern and the four bolt pattern
5. MODIFY SHIFT LINKAGE MOUNT: You'll need to secure the shift linkage to the transmission case. the mount needs to be precise for the shift positions to line up. Currently there are no off the shelf solutions, you'll have to custom mount it.
6. ENGINE OIL DRAIN BOLT INTERFERENCE: Drain bolt can be shortened slightly and the transmission pan lip can be slightly bent. (pic by Nick Sho)
1666313232567.png

7. UNIQUE REAR COOLER LINE FITTING: This only applies if you want to run AN lines all the way to the transmission. If you splice into the factory 4T80e cooler line, you can ignore this. If you want to use AN lines, the factory fitting in the rear of the trans by the differential housing is unique. You can weld an AN fitting to it as shown below. (pic by Nick Sho)
1666313414845.png

MOUNTING IN A W-BODY
All yellow text is W-Body specific information:

1. RACK AND PINION CLEARANCE: The engine cannot be mounted in the stock position because the 80e will interfere with the rack and pinion. The whole powertrain should be shifted forwards. If you solidly mount the powertrain to the cradle, you can stick to 1". Non-solid mounts should give a little more space. Here's a picture of Jerry Gutierrez powertrain shifted forward about an inch and a half using a modified stock engine mount. You can see the transmission barely clears the rack and pinion after being moved forward: (pic by Jerry Gutierrez)
received_1562734797493372.jpeg
received_2906669312961332.jpeg

2. SOURCING MOUNTS: all mounts need to be custom fabricated. I'll update as soon as a commercial source pops up with a mount kit.
- The 80e needs to be secured to the subframe on the driver's side.
- Secure differential housing to the subframe or to the engine block. If it gets secured to the subframe, solid mounts need to be used for diff housing to subframe AND engine block to subframe.
3. AXLES: Aurora 4.0 driver side axle, Deville passenger side axle
4. POWER STEERING LINES: Power Steering lines interfere with the differential housing. High pressure line needs to be re-routed. If making a new line, the end needs a flare.

MOUNTING IN A 2000+ H/C BODY

-everything in "all applications" section
-use your original rear and side transmission mounts with Mount brackets from a Bonneville GXP.
-custom fabricated front mount or use 2000+ Aurora V6 mount possibly???????? __________ need confirmation on this information!
-custom fabricated differential housing to engine block bracket
-Bonneville GXP or equivalent axles

H/C/G body pre-2000

-everything in "all applications" section
-front and rear transmission mounts from Oldsmobile Aurora????? __________ need confirmation on exact mounts and compatible model years! It also might be that these only work on the G-Body and not the h&c bodies.
-axles????_________

WIRING

External/Internal Range Switch Conversion
-If your original 4T65e had an external range switch, you should use an external mode switch off a pre-2000 4T80e. These can be added to any 4T80e.

2-3 Shift Solenoid Inversion
-The two three shift logic inversion can be done using wiring or using tuning. Check tuning section for the tuning option.
-A relay can be used to invert the signal to the 2-3 shift solenoid. Rather than the PCM output controlling the solenoid, the PCM output would control the relay. The relay would then send an output signal to the solenoid that is opposite of what the PCM is commanding. (Add wiring diagrams _________)

Repinning the Transmission Connector
-Obtain pinouts of your factory connector and the connector of the 4T80e you are installing. Move pins around as needed ___________ need confirmation

TUNING THE 4T65e PCM FOR THE 4T80e

2-3 Shift Solenoid Inversion
-Tiny Tuner now has capability to inverse the signal on the 2-3 shift solenoid. Some vehicles may not be supported for this feature. Use the relay solution in the wiring section otherwise.
-supported vehicle list???__________

Shift Tables
-Stock 4T65e tables work fine for partial throttle shifting and every day driving. Change at your own risk! Transmission table modifications can cause mechanical damage when driving if you don't know what you're doing.

Torque Converter Lockup
-Lock/Unlock tables need to be coordinated with the shift tables. All can be left stock.
-Some of the ratio values need to be adjusted to allow torque converter lockup at all. Due to different numbers of teeth on some of the internal sprockets (specify sprockets ___________), these need to be changed so that the engine RPM and ISS signals spit out equal values when the torque converter is locked. If the TCC slip is negative during lockup, the converter will automatically unlock, and this can cause a lot of confusion if you don't know what's going on. See the sections below for modifying these values...

Speedometer and Other Ratios

Manual Shift Control
-Cut PCS (pressure control solenoid) wires to create full time max fluid pressure
-Set up controller or shifter to manually engage 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoid circuits and torque converter clutch solenoid circuit.

RECOMMENDED 4T80e INTERNAL MODIFICATIONS

-torque converter: Precision has single clutch and multi clutch options with the 4-bolt flex plate pattern. Circle D makes a multi clutch option with the 3-bolt pattern native to the 3800 and 4-bolt pattern used with the Northstar.
-2-3 accumulator: shim or flip the accumulator to decrease fill time. First picture is the 2-3 accumulator piston in the bore as from the factory. Second picture shows the piston flipped. Set the spring on the transmission side of the piston right before reinstalling the valve body. (pic by Travis Kuiper)
1666315592811.png
1666315601359.png
1666315692708.png

-Sonnax Boost Valve: https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2336-boost-valve-kit
-channel plate drilling
Screenshot_20200101-184705.png
FB_IMG_1577926007399.jpg
FB_IMG_1577926012033.jpg

-channel plate tsb????

-relatively easy LSD upgrade... These differentials are able to be disassembled more easily than the 4T65e for modifications...
-Traction Concepts makes an LSD for the 4T80e, they have a 600 whp version and an XT/HD version for higher powered applications.

-fluid aeration and capacity increase

Thanks to everyone who helped out with providing information for this guide!
Jerry Gutierrez
Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc
bs009 bs009
Nick Sho
Justin Nicholls - nichollsperformancetransmissions.com

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
H/c body front mount on the 98 riv 3800/65e bolted onto the 4t80e.
The rear mount bolted on just the same. No change in distance between those Mount flanges between the two transaxles the difference is that the axle center line moves one inch rearward.

3.11, 3.48, 3.71 (autobahn pkg Aurora etc)

Engine to trans bracket I have nailed down I water jet it in three pieces they puzzle together you weld them and you're done I can pretty much flat pack ship them if people can weld them themselves.

bs009 bs009 is the archivist architect of the 3800 Arkham asylum and 3800 Wikikinky master....
He needs to see this as he's scraped my brain droppings up from all over the place

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
It's been a while since I've put together the stuff on the wiki so I'll have to go and update it with more of the PCM stuff and all of the other details here.

I'll need to add more of the info from these threads here to the site though for sure. Don't think I saw that last thread there posted too but I pulled some info from that twin engine GP thread that was around a few years ago.

FWIW, the Holley can run the 4t80e though too haha

Ktj100

Jul 14, 2021
Something I didn't see you mention I recall from the other thread is aeration and its prevention.

Keep going, probably not something I'd be into but you never know. Could always wind up doing something rear engine for some silly reason.
Oh yea for sure, pretty sure you are referring to fluid starvation. The 65e does the same thing under extended periods of high loads. It's just a matter of increasing fluid capacity. I can add something about that I guess, but stock capacity is just fine for drag racing and street use.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Probably want to list axles too. From some of the other threads I've seen it looks like you'd need:

W-body:
Aurora 4.0 driver side axle
Deville passenger side axle

H/C body: I'm assuming stock northstar axles?

How high does the stock 4t80e torque converter stall compared to the 4t65e? Is there a noticeable difference?

If the stock PCM can control the 4t80e this easily it sounds like the Holley could run the 4t65e then too if someone were silly enough to spend money on the 4t65e and the Holley.
You all are making it really hard for me to not want to turbo my 02 Regal right now :LOL:

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
The holley can do the 4L80e....its not setup for the iss that the 4T80E has. The 4L70e does have an iss.
Yeah that's what they say officially but I thought I found a few threads where people were able to get it working though. I'm only finding one now though atm:

I did also find someone else using a standalone trans controller there but I know that's a whole other topic entirely:

JRuzich

May 25, 2023
Pittsfield, IL
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies! I'll get a thread going soon. Picked up a rust-free Riv almost identical to the one I had in college 20-something years ago a few months back. Picked up a S2 L67 out of a GTP to build and put in it, but I'll be pulling the charger and putting a ZZP turbo kit on it. Not really done much work yet because I'm in the middle of remodeling the wife's bathroom in my spare time although I have been buying parts. The plan is to bag it, boost it, and restore the body. My dad is a body man and doing the work so while we are fixing door dings and dents, and repainting we are going to shave the hood ornament and radio antenna, make it a slick sleeper cruiser.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
-Control of pre-2000 4T80e using a 2003+ PCM will technically work but the Pressure Control Solenoid won't last long due to the switch to a PWM signal that generates extra heat that the old solenoid is not built to handle. Need to check possibility of updating to a newer PCS during other transmission internal mods
This seems to be inaccurate - the part number for the PCS doesn't change across any of the 4T80s from <99 or >00 that I looked at. Seeing this, I did talk to the guy who built my 4T80, who told me that the TCC Solenoid had made the change that is described. However, when I look up TCC Solenoids on RockAuto for a 97 Seville and an 06 DTS, there is a matching part number across those two as well, casting doubt there.

What was the source of information for th PCS change between early and late models, and if reputable, how does one make sure they are buying the correct PCS if the part number is the same?

Next oddity, my transmission was built about 5 years ago, so the builders memory could be fuzzy. He is pretty adamant that my transmission was a >00. Was the pressure manifold switch (GM part 24200770) ever used in the later model 4T80s? I can't find any record of it, and that seems to be one of the big internal changes - the later models eliminated the pressure manifold switch and upgraded the range selector switch to do two jobs (which also added wiring).

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The range switch was only moved inside the trans and is called the internal mode switch. Now. All that does is send the shift arm position to pcm.
The only change is that the sensor and all the wires are now inside the trans and not in the way of 3800 exhaust pipes.

The pressure manifold Switch assembly is used in the later ones, however Its functionality has been reduced. A.k.a. the hyd circuits sensed...

Remember when they were referring to the early 4t80e.... It goes all the way back to 94.

The earliest As well as the latest 80s, use a conventional Tcc clutch n material.... The whole range through the middle used the d*** viscous clutch....known to leak silicone.

Those changes required t c c circuit/solenoid and logic control changes as early are Kevlar clutched n latest model carbon fiber

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Okay thanks, so if I understand correctly, any 4T80E made after 94 should be good as far as controller / PCS / TCC Solenoid goes?

Next uneducated question, if I do have a 00+ transmission, and we have it wired up with a 94-99 pigtail, would it work at all? (maybe this is how I killed my 4T80, I have a 94-99 TCU bin and wiring driving an 00+ unit? It worked about 25 miles, lol)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info