Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...650/ford-mustang-next-generation-s650-rumors/

We know what the immediate future for the Ford Mustang looks like—a new Shelby GT500 later this year, and not too long after, a hybrid version. But the long-term plan for the Mustang is a little murkier. Automobile reports that we haven't heard a whole lot about a new Mustang because it's actually quite far away. An anonymous source speaking to the magazine said that a truly all-new Mustang might not arrive until the 2026 model year, while another guessed that it might not be until 2028 or 2029.

In the interim, Ford will reportedly roll out a heavily revised version of the current S550-generation Mustang with new bodywork. The Mustang hybrid was supposed to arrive with this mid-cycle refresh in 2020, though Automobile says it's been delayed to early 2022 now.

According to Automobile, the next Mustang—which is codenamed S650—will ride on Ford's new rear-drive CD6 platform, which underpins the new Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. Since this is an SUV platform, the Mustang will likely grow in size, potentially coming closer to the dimensions of the current Dodge Challenger.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean the CD6 was supposed to be a car and SUV chassis (like the current Taurus/Explorer chassis) Ford decided to dump all its sedans, so its just an SUV chassis by default.

I don't think it would gain THAT much weight, as the CD6 is apparently a very versatile chassis...FWD, AWD, RWD, hybrid all in one, and it would make sense to move it to that chassis to save global costs. But obviously it'll gain weight if they want to move the Mustang further away from the Camaro in terms of size inside and out.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Meh. I'll probably keep my poverty S197 and fox bodies for a long time. A bigger Mustang wouldn't be the worst thing from a practicality standpoint though. I do like the roomy interior of the Challenger. It actually has a useable rear seat.

Also, I'll believe it when I see it. 2026 is a long way away. I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to alter the wheelbase of the CD6 platform to be used for a more compact performance platform.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info