Does this count as a barn find?

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
About two years ago I parked the Corvair in a barn where I store stuff. Other projects took precedence and my poor little car was left to collect dust.

Thankfully all I had to do was swap in two new primary carbs and my son drove it home.

Here is the before and after photo.

This summer I plan to shower some parts on the Corvair and enjoy the heck out of it.

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Time for an update, I have been struggling with flooding and float level issues even before I put the car away two years ago. I attributed this to faulty needle/seat from today’s gas.

I installed the new rebuild kits with Clarks Corvair Parts new style needle/seat. When I first started the car it ran perfect. Two days later I had to move the car out of the garage and gas was pouring out one of the carbs. I was frustrated to say the least.

I took the carb apart expecting to see dirt but no luck.

Time for drastic measures, beer and thinking. On a whim I put a fuel pressure gauge in the line started the car and it was running just fine. Fuel was between 4-4.5 psi. I let it run for a while and I noticed it was loading up with fuel. I looked at the gauge and saw 8 psi. Hmmmmmm....more beer.

I still have a generator on my car and an electric fuel pump so more beer and thought, ephiany, install a Fuel Pressure regulator!

I installed a dead head fuel pressure regulator, set it to 4 psi and so far so good!

Now I am just frustrated with myself as I should have realized I had fluctuating fuel pressure a LONG time ago based upon the symptons but sometimes I over think things.

So my lesson to all of you is if you run an electric pump I’d recommend a fuel pressure regulator.

Time for more beer then a long drive over the weekend. Thankfully it is early in the season and I will be able to enjoy many miles of air cooled motoring!

Thread Info