3800 Does anyone know how to fix car amps?

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
I have an old US Amps model US-400. I have had this for about 7 years now. About a year ago I was driving crazy, and my remote wore got snagged on a peice of metal in the trunk. The amp smoked for a moment, and it has not worked since.
Does anyone fix, or know someone that can take a look at this to see what may be going on? Id like to iether reinstall or sell the amp, rigth now it is a 25lb paperweight.
I can send it to the mfg, they take a look at it, and send it back for a flat $275, regardless of what is wrong with it. I dont see any marks on the board, and no resistors have marks. I dont know how to test. Any help would be appreciated.
here is a pic of the amp.

574609_14_full.jpg

heres a gratutious pic of the new engine bay ;)
574609_15_full.jpg

Joe A

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Do you have any type of schematic for the amp? As long as the damage was confined to the power regulator/turn on you may be OK. If the damged occured in the amplifier section it may remain a paperweight. I know that Casper's is capable of fixing it, but they may be too busy to deal with something like this. If you have, or can get a schematic for it, I could give it a shot. I've built a few amps in the past and know what's involved. Some of the parts may no longer be availible though, and that's my only concern.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Do you have any type of schematic for the amp? As long as the damage was confined to the power regulator/turn on you may be OK. If the damged occured in the amplifier section it may remain a paperweight. I know that Casper's is capable of fixing it, but they may be too busy to deal with something like this. If you have, or can get a schematic for it, I could give it a shot. I've built a few amps in the past and know what's involved. Some of the parts may no longer be availible though, and that's my only concern.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Sorry for the double post...
I TT US amps, it is most likely in the power supply like I suspected. They no longer offer non-warranty repairs for their products. They have an authorised repair servise out of MS, and some guy that works there does repairs on the side...just have to get to the right person there. They won't offer a schematic for the unit (against policy). If you're not in any hurry for it, I could check it out, but I can't guarantee how long it will take me to get to futz with it.

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
I have a guy out by me that fixes radios,amps,subs and so on. However I believe he'll probably charge you more then $275. If your interested his shop is located in Lyons,IL. I don't have the exact address but its on Ogden right before Lawndale. His shop is located right next to the Lions Den(<<its a bar) and inside the Minute man Gas station. Trust me you can't miss it. If you want to check it out let me know and I could meet with you and take you there.

Leo
(708) 277-7429

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• J
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list