Does anyone here golf?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
My 12 year old son rocks it at top golf and would be good on the course,

Question as I’m not a golfer, how does one get thier kids involved in the sport?

Any golfers were start when younger?
Find a local kids golf league. A lot of the municipal courses have a kids program. My parents never played golf, so they found a local summer league where I played 9 holes 1-2 times per week a local municipal course.

Then when I get to high school, I joined my High School golf team.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

Question as I’m not a golfer, how does one get thier kids involved in the sport?

My younger kids do lessons at the park district course. My 13 year old is in a league through the park district where her and another girl from Mount Prospect will play against two girls from a neighboring town.

I also take the kids to Top Golf every couple months.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora

Our daughter took up golf the summer before her freshman year. She had a natural swing. So we hired a personal golf coach. She played varsity all through high school and was offered college golf scholarships from multiple schools. Now she has one year left in college. So I would say find a personal golf coach. They are not terribly expensive and they are full of knowledge and info on where kids can play and so on.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
That's right by my work! It's still crazy to me that they have a golf course right in the middle of such heavy industry

What was crazy to me....was on the East part of the course, there is a neighborhood between the golf course and the BP refinery. I would not want to live that close to a refinery!!

It was my first time playing that course. Its definitely crazy there is a nice golf course in the middle of all that LOL!

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Sup.

I’ve been saving my pennies for a driver and putter. Picked up a used ping g425 max on Saturday and I just ordered a new Odyssey 2-ball ten putter on sale with a gift card my sister got me for Father’s Day

I’ve been so busy, barely had time to even get in the yard to wack some balls. Making it a point to hit the range this next week a couple times. Not ready to golf a round yet, but hopefully a couple before the season is over.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
its addicting. not sure how far you are from Des Plaines, but check out Golf center. The are open late, nice range and a 9 hole par 3 with lights. Longest hole is ~160ish, last tee time is 10:30pm.

+1 for Des Plaines Golf Center. The par 3 course under the lights is a ton of fun, and will definitely improve your short game.

Reactions: Maro

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Played 9 holes up in WI Sunday, course was long and hard. One hole was a par 5 with a 490 yard T to pin, had a dog leg left. Brutal! But was fun. I stopped keeping track of my pars on 4 and just played. I have a terrible slice if I hit with all my strength. So I've been trying to keep it in check. I can only drive 160-175 yards and keep it straight.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Played 9 holes up in WI Sunday, course was long and hard. One hole was a par 5 with a 490 yard T to pin, had a dog leg left. Brutal! But was fun. I stopped keeping track of my pars on 4 and just played. I have a terrible slice if I hit with all my strength. So I've been trying to keep it in check. I can only drive 160-175 yards and keep it straight.

Nothing wrong with that. Most of the time I use my 2 hybrid, 3 iron or 4 iron for my drives. As long as I’m decently far and on the fairway. I’m happy.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Nothing wrong with that. Most of the time I use my 2 hybrid, 3 iron or 4 iron for my drives. As long as I’m decently far and on the fairway. I’m happy.
When I started to play, a few months back with her Father in FL, I vowed to not get pissed and just have fun. And that's what I do. My best friend who I have played a few rounds is pretty good. I've been listening to him for tips. He coaches kids baseball so he has a natural knack for giving tips. He's gotten me pretty solid with squaring up and keeping a constant swing using irons. I'm to the point now where I'm starting to under stank what irons to use for where.

On a full power drive, I can reach out to 190-200, but I put myself 20-30 yards to the right. So I'm hurting myself with that, deduct the 30 off 200 I'm at 170. So why not kill the ball and put myself straight and possibly not have an extra stroke, know what I mean?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

I had the same issue when driving but started only taking a half backswing. I max out around ~225 unless I get lucky, but it allows me to stay in the fairway, or at east not far off it.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I had the same issue when driving but started only taking a half backswing. I max out around ~225 unless I get lucky, but it allows me to stay in the fairway, or at east not far off it.
Right! I do a 3/4 swing and just use momentum instead of using pure strength. Ends up with decent results. Like you said, staying in the fairway is the biggest thing.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Yeah. I Also find a partial swing to be more beneficial to me also. I sometimes have an issue with setting up too close to the ball and not realizing it until after my swing and missed hit. So frustrating. But fun.
I have a slight issue with hunching over instead of bending. Wife also busts my balls because I don't wear a glove, I find it funny. Why do I need to wear a glove?

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I’ve driven past it for 15 years; this Sunday I’m stepping foot on it. Super excited and a little nervous all at the same time.

IMG_2201.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info