⚡ EV Dodge Durango R/T vs. Kia Telluride SX

Chi_Shizzle

Regular
Jun 4, 2019
First time posting on here. So I’ll be making a new purchase around late April, and have basically narrowed my options down to these 2. Now I’ve owned a 5.7 Charger Daytona as recently as 2 years ago, so I know what I’m getting with the Durango and the HEMI inside it. But the Telluride has certainly impressed me with all the reviews I’ve watched. My main concern is, is it really a good value spending almost $50k on a Kia? Every review of the Telluride says it is, but at the end of the day it’s a Kia.

I’d appreciate thoughts from any Kia and Durango owners.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Depends how you value “value”. Features for the money? Kia. Space efficiency? Kia. Interior quality? Kia. If you want a muscle car SUV, then Durango. The Telluride drives as pedestrian as they come and will not be quick or exciting to drive. The Durango certainly has more attitude, but poor visibility (huge a-pillars) and not-great safety ratings from IIHS (compared with the Kia).

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
4 year owner of Durango R/T. 6’1,215, no visibility issues. A pillars are not huge. Take it from an actual owner of the car.

Space? I can get 6 comfortably with captains chairs and still have a ton of crap in the bag. Great storage In the trunk, underneath the trunk mat I’ve got tools, breaker bars, jumper cables, first aid, flares and a battery jump starter.

4 years of hard driving, WOT daily, zero mechanical issues. Blue tooth, memory sears, heated and vented front, heated rear, etc.

Drives like a real suv, super smooth and handles pretty well for a truck/suv despite weighing well over 5,200LBS.

Plus it looks way better than a Kia.

Good luck.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
4 year owner of Durango R/T. 6’1,215, no visibility issues. A pillars are not huge. Take it from an actual owner of the car.

Space? I can get 6 comfortably with captains chairs and still have a ton of crap in the bag. Great storage In the trunk, underneath the trunk mat I’ve got tools, breaker bars, jumper cables, first aid, flares and a battery jump starter.

4 years of hard driving, WOT daily, zero mechanical issues. Blue tooth, memory sears, heated and vented front, heated rear, etc.

Drives like a real suv, super smooth and handles pretty well for a truck/suv despite weighing well over 5,200LBS.

Good luck.

someone strike a nerve or something man?

jesus. :rofl:

i mean, you might be a bit biased here.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Good luck.

“Conversely, Durango owners report their least favorite things about the vehicle are its fuel economy, door closing sound, outward visibility, second-row seat room and amount of cargo space.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Obviously you’re not a fan of Durango’s. That’s cool dude.

Compared to other vehicles in its class, it doesn’t feel like you’re driving a 4-door sedan like the explorer and such.

I actually am. It’s a solid recommendation for those looking for a performance SUV where cargo, comfort and safety aren’t as big of considerations. I just hopped out of an SRT for a week and loved driving it, but was also reminded of why as a regular family SUV it has its faults compared with a Telluride or some of the other more recent three-row SUV’s that better serve family life (I couldn’t fit my kid’s stroller behind the Durango’s third row without folding a seat).

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Hyundai Palisade is borderline luxury when considering interior quality, features and ride quality; it’s a touch nicer than the closely related Telluride. I’d say the only thing holding it back from being a Genesis SUV — and it’s big for many luxury shoppers — is that it doesn’t have a heightened handling or acceleration over a non-luxury car. Plus, or course, a Hyundai badge. But if you’re not a brand snob or aren’t holding onto 30-year-old brand perception grudge, then by far it’s the highest-quality car in its class. And a fully loaded one is as much as a mid-trim new Explorer (as far as retail prices go).

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
So I can't comment on the Durango but my wife has a 2019 Grand Cherokee with the pentistar and my buddy has a decently equipped Telluride. The Kia is bigger on the inside and certainly has more tech but I would take the Cherokee all day long. Bru is right, the Telluride is a pedestrian as it gets.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info