⚡ EV Dodge Durango R/T vs. Kia Telluride SX

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Few things I don't care for, but, that's because I bought the R/T knowing what I was getting into -

Gas mileage sucks. It's a big V8, in a big SUV that weighs a lot.
Auto power liftgate works, but, is pretty slow in itself
Engine bay houses water so you will see it steam from time to time due to the heat
The R/T handles great, but, you do feel it compared to other SUV's. It is not as smooth, but, rightfully so, it was not made to be
Uconnect 8.4 - bluetooth can be buggy at times, but, otherwise, it is very easy to use.

The Kia, albeit a bit smaller, gets better gas (Small V6, weighs under 4,500LBS) and has very good reviews. They also look tits.

The quality of Kia has definitely improved over the years. I'd say it is a good buy, but, it is s a bit more expensive.

However, the Kia should be compared to something like a Highlander or Pilot or a Murano, not really an R/T since it is not designed as a pure family car. Overall, it works with a family, but, there are better options if this is the intent.

Have you looked into the other options too, such as the Highlander, Pilot, etc? They are pretty solid cars.

Chi_Shizzle

Regular
Jun 4, 2019
Few things I don't care for, but, that's because I bought the R/T knowing what I was getting into -

Gas mileage sucks. It's a big V8, in a big SUV that weighs a lot.
Auto power liftgate works, but, is pretty slow in itself
Engine bay houses water so you will see it steam from time to time due to the heat
The R/T handles great, but, you do feel it compared to other SUV's. It is not as smooth, but, rightfully so, it was not made to be
Uconnect 8.4 - bluetooth can be buggy at times, but, otherwise, it is very easy to use.

The Kia, albeit a bit smaller, gets better gas (Small V6, weighs under 4,500LBS) and has very good reviews. They also look tits.

The quality of Kia has definitely improved over the years. I'd say it is a good buy, but, it is s a bit more expensive.

However, the Kia should be compared to something like a Highlander or Pilot or a Murano, not really an R/T since it is not designed as a pure family car. Overall, it works with a family, but, there are better options if this is the intent.

Have you looked into the other options too, such as the Highlander, Pilot, etc? They are pretty solid cars.

I know the Durango won’t be as smooth a ride as the others, but that comes with the territory of getting a HEMI. I miss my Charger everyday since I sold it for the whack Accord I currently drive, so I’ll get that back somewhat with the Durango.

I’ve looked at the Highlanders, Pilots, etc. but not impressed. I’m intrigued by the Telluride due to all the tech that comes in the SX, which for me may offset the pedestrian driving experience. I haven’t driven one yet so I’ll have to see, those things are selling out everywhere and I’m definitely not paying over MSRP.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
4 year owner of Durango R/T. 6’1,215, no visibility issues. A pillars are not huge. Take it from an actual owner of the car.

Space? I can get 6 comfortably with captains chairs and still have a ton of crap in the bag. Great storage In the trunk, underneath the trunk mat I’ve got tools, breaker bars, jumper cables, first aid, flares and a battery jump starter.

4 years of hard driving, WOT daily, zero mechanical issues. Blue tooth, memory sears, heated and vented front, heated rear, etc.

Drives like a real suv, super smooth and handles pretty well for a truck/suv despite weighing well over 5,200LBS.

Plus it looks way better than a Kia.

Good luck.
We also owned one a few years ago, and I agree with everything you said. My Wife hated it (it was hers) said it reminded her of a station wagon, lol. So we traded it in for her Cherokee. I know a few others who own them and they love them.

• Love
Reactions: Grabber

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Hyundai Palisade is borderline luxury when considering interior quality, features and ride quality; it’s a touch nicer than the closely related Telluride. I’d say the only thing holding it back from being a Genesis SUV — and it’s big for many luxury shoppers — is that it doesn’t have a heightened handling or acceleration over a non-luxury car. Plus, or course, a Hyundai badge. But if you’re not a brand snob or aren’t holding onto 30-year-old brand perception grudge, then by far it’s the highest-quality car in its class. And a fully loaded one is as much as a mid-trim new Explorer (as far as retail prices go).

This ^ I was super sold on the Telluride, but after seeing the interior of the Hyundai and it’s top model features I may have to side with the palisade. Also both my mom and my mother in law have 2012 Hyundai Veracruz’s (basically the full size suv at the time) both love them and one has 170k on it. Next to no issues.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Grabber Grabber you do know he reviews cars for a living?

Yes, but, that is besides the point.

OP asked for feedback from owners, so, I chimed in.

As someone that is not biased since I am a car guy and love a LOT of cars, I live in my Durango pretty much and have a good opinion on the pros/cons of the car.

Sure, if you want the "official" review of what people are saying, Bru has a point and his opinion is highly valued of course.

If you read some reviews of certain cars, people are super petty about certain things in cars.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
One thing to consider is the dealer experience. My local Kia dealer ... I'd rather go to the dentist.

Local Dodge dealer is okay.

YMMV

very true.

here, our kia dealer is with GM and ill go there for service shit and be 1000X more satisfied than the ford dealer we have to take our work shit to.

the ford dealer is a joke.

warranty issue? yeah maybe next week some time, they're going to keep it a week, oh and when you need to pick it up, itll take a half hour to find it somehow.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yes, but, that is besides the point.

OP asked for feedback from owners, so, I chimed in.

As someone that is not biased since I am a car guy and love a LOT of cars, I live in my Durango pretty much and have a good opinion on the pros/cons of the car.

Sure, if you want the "official" review of what people are saying, Bru has a point and his opinion is highly valued of course.

If you read some reviews of certain cars, people are super petty about certain things in cars.

The perspective I can give is from driving every car in its class. What only an owner can provide is reliability and other long-term, highly valuable impressions, as well as sharing how they use it. We were basically saying the same thing about the Durango. But, I must know what your other car is if you think Durango visibility isn’t bad - an M1 Abrams?

• Haha
Reactions: Dave M and RICH17

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
very true.

here, our kia dealer is with GM and ill go there for service shit and be 1000X more satisfied than the ford dealer we have to take our work shit to.

the ford dealer is a joke.

warranty issue? yeah maybe next week some time, they're going to keep it a week, oh and when you need to pick it up, itll take a half hour to find it somehow.

Wait, so, the Kia dealer is a GM dealer? Am I reading that right?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
The perspective I can give is from driving every car in its class. What only an owner can provide is reliability and other long-term, highly valuable impressions, as well as sharing how they use it. We were basically saying the same thing about the Durango. But, I must know what your other car is if you think Durango visibility isn’t bad - an M1 Abrams?

HAHA.

Well, when buying the Durango, I came from an 08 Explorer and a Cavalier and a 2014 Mustang. Considering the Mustang had limited visibility and the Cavalier was tiny, but, had a lot of visibility, the Durango was a godsend in comparison.

Prior to buying the Durango, I checked out several cars in it's class and drove them, same as you. I've also spent over 5,000 miles in an Explorer on a road trip and had the same type of opinion as you, as a non-owner.

Wife has a Volt, so, not sure what I can say about that.

Are the A-pillars in the Durango large? Yes. Do they block visibility to me? No, not really. Everyone is different and that is an opinion.

Maybe I can see better than most as I'm tall-ish, and tend to sit higher up in my seat? Idk.

My wife is barely 5FT and when she drives my truck, she comments that she sees everything, except for anything in front of her since she is barely overlooking the steering wheel. :D

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wait, so, the Kia dealer is a GM dealer? Am I reading that right?

gary lang is one of those cluster dealers with 16 brands

1579196126796.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I just helped someone buy a Palisade and came in 11-percent under MSRP. However, this was also the last week of December, and not a Telluride.

my lil bro has been truck shopping, and since the tax change happened, i might dare say deals are even better now than they were at the end of 2019...

at least on trucks.

Reactions: Bru
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info