Do motorized bicycles count as powersports?

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
Anyone else here built one of these??

This started out life as a 90 dollar Chinese beach cruiser. First order of business was to strip everything down and polish and seal the paintwork.
Doing this I also was given easy access to repair factory level issues like gacked threads on rear axle, steer tube, strip and re-grease everything. There were a few parts damaged in shipping (front fender, gouged handlebar) that were also replaced under warranty before I started building.

Engine is a Huasheng 142F which is a Chinese-made clone of a Honda GX 49cc that puts out around 2 horsepower on 93 octane. Centrifugal clutch drives a small transmission and then the drive chain goes to a 44 tooth sprocket that will power this to 20-22 MPH depending on grade.

It's a blast. Fiance likes it and told me to build another one soon. I have a 1987 Schwinn laying around that I'm going to eventually have powder coated and do a 2-stroke build on that should go about twice as fast.

That one is currently awaiting me to stop being lazy and take it to get stripped and powder coated.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure [MENTION=517]10sec[/MENTION] rode one to doggie diner once

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
my buddy made an electric bike somewhat this way, is currently working on making his own made in the usa carbon frame for one.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
@nytebyte @sickmint79 I've already had thoughts cross my mind about installing an electric front hub motor. I think a hybrid bike would be pretty fun. Instant power from both wheels. Just have a rear-mounted rack and mount the battery pack and ESC there.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sweet, looks fun Man

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
these are awesome.

the legality on them cracks me up too. because they fucking rip and have such lax laws surrounding them it seems.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
these are awesome.

the legality on them cracks me up too. because they fucking rip and have such lax laws surrounding them it seems.
Technically they're not supposed to go faster than 20mph according to the "law" but mine does 40+ and I've buzzed right passed many cops, they give zero fucks. 5yrs and 3k miles riding mine and I've never had any trouble with police.

Outlaw

Reaction score
I've always wanted to build one, maybe now that I live a mile from the gas station I'll do it for a beer runner :rofl:

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score

I have 75 miles and around 15 hours or so of run time on it so far. Only problems have been small. A lot of users of this kit complain about the centrifugal clutch overheating the (poorly ventilated) clutch drum which causes the drum to warp slightly. This finally happened, and I ordered one with a little better ventilation. Bonus, it even came with that port of China sea salt air patina. Classy. Not pictured, the dual chain transmission which reminds me of a 3800 double roller timing chain, was also cleaned and given high temperature grease at this time as well as the one way bearings inside.

The first oil fill and second oil fill were done at 5 hours and again at 10 hours with Royal Purple zinc and phosphorous fortified break in oil and now at around 15 hours I just topped off with the good stuff. This engine only takes 235mL of oil to be full.

When I was checking some things on the motor, I tilted it a little too far and oil came back through the carburetor. Soaked all 3 gaskets on the carburetor side, have those on order. Not bad, $10 or so for those. They are a bit complex or I'd be resourceful and cut them myself.

And as of yesterday, the new engine came in for the next one. 48cc, 2 horsepower or there about. Also have a small expansion chamber to go with it to give it a little more oomph.

Need to get that white one out to paint so I can start the next build. :jg:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom