Do Dodge Hemis have a stealth mode?

b4black

Reaction score
I'm been thinking of getting a Dodge Charger/Challenger, so I rented one on my last trip. It was a R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. Loved it, except it was stupid loud whenever I got on it. I'd rather not turn heads when I'm trying to blow past traffic. I don't care for the "Active Exhaust" with the valves that open and close.

A co-worker just got a Mustang GT. It can be stupid loud too, but it has a feature that lets you control the exhaust to 'silent' so you don't wake up the neighbors in the morning. Actually you can set times so it's loud during the day and quiet at night.

Does Dodge have a feature like this? Can you turn the Active Exhaust on and off?

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
Mild 2 wild I believe offers a version that can force mild mode.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
hmm i learned something today.
i want to know how that works

Cars have had this for a while now. Most have bypass valves in the muffler to allow exhaust to go through the muffler or partially bypass it. I have seen the vacuum and electric operated valves. There are aftermarket exhausts that also offer it as well. Usually with electric cutouts. Early ones just opened the valve when the vacuum went to zero when at WOT. Later ones got more complex with switchable modes. Ford took it a step further and offers that schedule feature,. Which I think is pretty badass.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score

Cars have had this for a while now. Most have bypass valves in the muffler to allow exhaust to go through the muffler or partially bypass it. I have seen the vacuum and electric operated valves. There are aftermarket exhausts that also offer it as well. Usually with electric cutouts. Early ones just opened the valve when the vacuum went to zero when at WOT. Later ones got more complex with switchable modes. Ford took it a step further and offers that schedule feature,. Which I think is pretty badass.
wait wait. like the zo6 bypass valves?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
The FR500 exhaust system on my 2003 Cobra is a dual mode system.

It's almost as quiet as stock when driving normally, but if you get on it, the valves will open and it gets louder. It's not obnoxious though and sounds pretty good, but it takes a few minutes for the valves to close again once you go back to normal driving.

I think it's the same tech as Z06's had back then. Mufflers are made by Arvinmeritor.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
wait wait. like the zo6 bypass valves?
exactly. But just getting more options and features. I'm sure Ford could play with the cam timing to also change the sound profile for different drive modes. But most are just bypass muffler set ups.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
On my sons 18 Challenger RT there is no way to control it. It does get louder in "Sport Mode", but no way to make it quieter. When my son bought the car, I had to actually look underneath it because I thought it had an aftermarket exhaust.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Can you force the DOD system on? I know my co-workers 15 Challenger RT is really mellow when he's not getting on it.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Can you force the DOD system on? I know my co-workers 15 Challenger RT is really mellow when he's not getting on it.
I dont believe the 15 has the "active exhaust" as they are much quieter that the 18's.
Pretty sure the active exhaust started on the 17's

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
GM has it too, it's called Bi-Modal mufflers. They use it on the Camaro, Corvette and SS.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
The Camaro has a actual exhaust mode named 'Stealth'.

Tried to find a good clip, but I gave up after the first 7 videos where shit with either god aweful music and a 2 minute intro, or just had crappy audio quality.

But here's a pic off the Corvette's drive mode page.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
exactly. But just getting more options and features. I'm sure Ford could play with the cam timing to also change the sound profile for different drive modes. But most are just bypass muffler set ups.
They can change the I/E cam phasing to take overlap down to nothing and call it RV Cam mode.

torquelover

Reaction score
Where/who rents R/T models? I've only seen V6 Chargers/Challengers. I'd take an R/T as a rental in a heartbeat.

b4black

Reaction score
Where/who rents R/T models? I've only seen V6 Chargers/Challengers. I'd take an R/T as a rental in a heartbeat.

Hertz - The have an "American Musclecar" collection. This was Orlando, but I'm sure other airports have it too.

Marko

Reaction score
The Camaro has a actual exhaust mode named 'Stealth'.

Tried to find a good clip, but I gave up after the first 7 videos where shit with either god aweful music and a 2 minute intro, or just had crappy audio quality.

But here's a pic off the Corvette's drive mode page.

New Camaro SS? I’m not sure about that. I’d have to look it up.

My exhaust gets louder when I put it in sport and track mode.(same with the Charger)

I think touring mode is the quietest. On the Camaro.

b4black

Reaction score
Ugh, I found a picture of the flapper valve that opens and closes in the Dodge exhaust. With it closed, it would be breathing through a tiny, tiny hole. That won't work.

Attachments

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
New Camaro SS? I’m not sure about that. I’d have to look it up.

My exhaust gets louder when I put it in sport and track mode.(same with the Charger)

I think touring mode is the quietest. On the Camaro.
Camaro and Corvette's you can also control through the infotainment system as was trying to be shown. The SS mufflers I posted are purely vacuum actuated.

Marko

Reaction score
Camaro and Corvette's you can also control through the infotainment system as was trying to be shown. The SS mufflers I posted are purely vacuum actuated.
I’ll have to YouTube it.

But. I’m having a blast in both my cars.

They’re both loud imo for being Stock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom