Discount Tire Rant

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
but you didnt pick up the phone or go into their location.
they will price match anyone. ive dont this for 10+ years. cant just sit behind a keyboard and expect the same service.
Actually as stated, I called three local discount tires and none of them answered the phone. I simply don’t have time to be driving around all over town. These service centers should pander to my convenience, not theirs.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It's not a matter of them not answering because of THEIR convenience. There is a line of people already standing out the door, of which, usually I'm one of them, and then they answer (while in the middle of helping the current person at the counter), and then the person calling on the phone wants a detailed breakdown of every tire available, warranties, prices, for the seven vehicles that they have as they're price shopping.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Actually as stated, I called three local discount tires and none of them answered the phone. I simply don’t have time to be driving around all over town. These service centers should pander to my convenience, not theirs.
then pay more. if thats worth it to you. more power to you.
i know ive had nothing but great service WHEN WALKING IN THE DOOR, you just have to have your home work done and be willing to come back for the vehicle or wait.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
It's not a matter of them not answering because of THEIR convenience. There is a line of people already standing out the door, of which, usually I'm one of them, and then they answer (while in the middle of helping the current person at the counter), and then the person calling on the phone wants a detailed breakdown of every tire available, warranties, prices, for the seven vehicles that they have as they're price shopping.

They really should hire more people or have a call center do quotes and answer bullshit questions. Not saying I want to talk to India to make a tire appointment but a bit better customer service than not picking up the phone at all.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Wow, I had a bad experience...this is not the first one. Last time I bought a full set of tires from them was about 2003ish. I’ve tried over time, but I’m saying I guess is that if I have to convince them to give me the deal somebody else is offering, then why not go to that other deal instead and then in turn sponsor that business to possibly get better business over time? Why support someone that you have to ask for a deal (otherwise they overcharging) . Free markets are awesome.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They really should hire more people or have a call center do quotes and answer bullshit questions. Not saying I want to talk to India to make a tire appointment but a bit better customer service than not picking up the phone at all.
you realize what you're recommending would add to their SWEET LOW PRICES right? :rofl:

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Wow, I had a bad experience...this is not the first one. Last time I bought a full set of tires from them was about 2003ish. I’ve tried over time, but I’m saying I guess is that if I have to convince them to give me the deal somebody else is offering, then why not go to that other deal instead and then in turn sponsor that business to possibly get better business over time? Why support someone that you have to ask for a deal (otherwise they overcharging) . Free markets are awesome.
name one place that will beat DT's prices...

ill wait.....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The only gripe I have with DT was that they were struggling to get the tires I needed. Yes, they had them in stock, but one here, another there, two more in another state. It would taken a few days, or close to a week as the person on the phone said, to get them all in, and they wanted a deposit before they started, which isn't completely unreasonable. When I called each of the locations that had the tires I needed I asked them to get the date codes so I could compare. Politely asked them to just call me back when they had a few minutes as I wasn't in that much of a hurry.

When I did get all of the date codes back the youngest tire was about a year old. The oldest (two at the same location) were about 2 1/2 years old. Didn't want to deal with that for longevity so I passed. Ended up getting all four from Tire Rack, had them drop-shipped to my location of choice, and had them mounted up and balanced that same day of delivery. All had the same date code and all were less than five months old. Yes, I know a year or so difference on A/S 45,000 mile car tires isn't a big deal. But coming from the two-wheeled world I'm very picky about getting/using dated tires, as it is way more critical. When you're traveling 170+ at the track you don't want to have "how old are my tires again?" going through your head when you're looking for you braking marker. You want the confidence knowing your $250-$300 tire is as fresh as you can get. It got so ingrained in me I passed it on to my car and truck tires.

From a cost perspective DT and TR were within a dollar of each other, so it wasn't a big deal. I do all the rotations myself and check the balance every 15,000 or so, so about once a year, or when I can feel something is off. Like stated previously, the shit roads in IL prevent you from really knowing if they out of balance. In my case with 40 series tires my wheels take the damage, which gets expensive to fix. But with two jack stands I can see whether or not the wheels are true before I take them in for repair or re-balancing. If I want to get really particular I bust out my run-out gauge to mark exactly where the dent is to save the repair guy some time. I have a local business do the work for me. Brought him enough business that a quick call or text and I'll have an appointment time that is within 24-48 hours and he stands by it, even if he has a lot of walk-ups.

On a somewhat pleasant note my g/f had some crappy Falken tires (Pro G4) on her car where every few months she'd have an impact (thanks IL roads!) and you get a sidewall bubble from the carcass being compromised. After the third one (all of which were prorated) I got tired of dealing with it. She took it to the DT by her work (Westmont) and had me talk to the counter guy. I had already done my research on which tires would be available in her size and how much they were. Since this was the third of fourth time she had been there for a replacement he did give her a fantastic deal on four new tires, different brand. That was at the beginning of summer and no issues so far, can't recall what we switched her to. Car rides a lot smoother and less road noise. So props to them on giving her the deal. It wasn't any mistake on their fault, just crap tires, so they really didn't have to "make things right" by any means. They got her in and out pretty quick too, and at the end of their business day. She seems happy when she has to go there.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

They just invented this thing called the internet...

Seriously you can go on discounttire.com and do everything from schedule an appointment for service to purchase tires. Not sure what the beef is here.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I'm not liking discount tire anymore either. I have a friend and a couple of her tires were losing air over a couple of days. Now this woman is cool, she's borrowed tools to work on her car , doing her own brakes and such and returns them fast and clean, knows how to weld, pretty knowledgeable.
She took her car to discount tire since that is where she got her tires to see if there was a leak. The shop said that its not the tires, there is some corrosion on the rims and she needs 4 new wheels. I am like wtf, and have her go to my local shop that proceeds to pull the tire, clean the wheel, remount, and the tires havent leaked a pound in 2 weeks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info