Discount Tire Rant

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Bought a set of tires for the Tahoe back about a year ago. They gave me the best price I found and pretty much installed them for free. They also give you free tire rotations and balancing for life. NOT BAD. So I have been taking the truck to get the tires rotated and balanced every time I change my oil (about 6K). My beef is that its a real pain in the ass to actually get an appointment with them. Most of the time I have to book it 1-3 weeks out to get a good time. Thats for a weekday appointment that requires me to work from home for the day. Then when I show up I usually have to wait around for two hours for them to complete the work appointment or not. I made an appointment for this Friday a few weeks ago, but I am not able to make it. I tired to call them. Sat on hold for 20 min. No one picked up. So I drove my ass over to the store to reschedule the appointment. Asked them if they had any time for a walk in. They told me about a 4 hour wait or leave it for the day. Yeah no. Its pretty hard for me to give up my car for the day. I need it to get to the train. Next available appointment 2-3 weeks out. SHIT. Like I know these guys are BUSY right after a snow storm and all, but either they are bringing in money hand over, fist or they just can't manage anything. I mean im asking for 15 min of labor.

Is this a issue with all Discount tire stores or a problem with the one I go-to? (Algonquin)

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
That's any tire shop I've been to. The wait isn't worth it to me especially when it would take me longer just to drive there and back than it would for me to just do it myself. Discount Tire is still my go-to for mount and balance though. All the others have screwed me in one way or another.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
1.they give everyone free rotations and balance for life. Nothing special there.

And yes, just about all of them are that busy.

Get there 10 minutes before they open on a Saturday is what I always do, and its usually not bad. Anything after that and I'm waiting 2-4 hours.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
They’re bringing in money hand over fist. They can offer free rotations knowing that majority of people like yourself don’t want to drop off or wait forever.

“Hey we offer all these free services with the set of tires you bought, when you need it either schedule an appointment or drop it off for the day”.

People like free, people are buying, they don’t make money on free so to the back of the line you go.

Plus after any cold spurt or snow will they be beyond busy, all the people with bald tires who held out as long as possible now shitting themselves.

Can’t Uber to the train?

Reactions: greasy

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
That Algonquin location is always swamped. I ended up going to the Carpentersville location off Randall instead and found all around better service and less wait times.

Algonquin DT is a fucking madhouse. I only go there if I HAVE to get new tires.

Rotate them in that giant garage of yours you sally.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Your appointment doesn't mean shit at any discount tire. You go to the end of the line when you get there. Appointment or not.

Consider yourself lucky if the kid doesnt fuck your wheels up with the tire mounting machine or drag the impact gun across your rims when he mounts them.

I went into NTB once for a flat repair and one of those 16 year old kids tossed my chrome rim on the balancer machine and just fucked the inside of the rim up. I lost my shit on him and ALMOST knocked him THE FUCK out!

Bottom line. FUCK those places.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Whatever DT is doing, they're doing it right. The place is swamped, especially Saturday. If you're not there when the doors open, fuggetaboutit. The one right across the street from me is packed ALL the time.

I seriously think they should consider Sunday hours and extending their hours the rest of the week.

The flip side to this, is if you have nice rims. Don't take it to them... Because they're sooo swamped, their guys are running around like chickens, and being careful with your wheels ISN'T a priority.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Just rotate them yourself. It takes me less time for me to rotate my tires then it does driving there and waiting for them to do it.

I rotate them in a X pattern because the truck is full time AWD. Kinda a pain in the ass to put the truck up on 4 jack stands. Not to mention I don't have a wheel balancing machine.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
When it's time for the summer > winter and winter > summer swaps, I go to the Mexican's (Aztec Tire in Wood Dale, highly recommended) at the end of my block. Cash only place of course. Give 'em $20 and I'm in and out in 10 minutes :rofl:
My buddy owns a used tire shop like you speak of in Elgin. As long as he has an open bay or if nice out I just pull in and do my own shit, lol.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Is it really necessary to balance the tires every 6k miles? Seems like that would save a majority of your headache, because unless you're throwing weights like no one I've ever seen, it's not something that really needs to be done at EVERY rotation. If I get a little vibration, the first place I head to is DT. All the DT's I've ever been to are busy, but I've also never had issues with them fucking up wheels. Also, an appointment seems to speed things up, but you're never going to be in and out of that place in less than an hour. That's something I've accepted, and usually I just bring my work laptop with me and work from the store. NFG, especially considering their free services and cheap tire prices.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info