Discount Tire Rant

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I'm not liking discount tire anymore either. I have a friend and a couple of her tires were losing air over a couple of days. Now this woman is cool, she's borrowed tools to work on her car , doing her own brakes and such and returns them fast and clean, knows how to weld, pretty knowledgeable.
She took her car to discount tire since that is where she got her tires to see if there was a leak. The shop said that its not the tires, there is some corrosion on the rims and she needs 4 new wheels. I am like wtf, and have her go to my local shop that proceeds to pull the tire, clean the wheel, remount, and the tires havent leaked a pound in 2 weeks.

Cleaning the the corrosion off the bead should be a standard step before mounting and balancing new tires.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Yes...Highland. I've got Schereville on the brain.

That's the one my Dad has been going to since it opened. He seems satisfied. I've never seen someone drive so little yet somehow buy tires every year.

He used to have them sipe his all seasons until I talked him into running dedicated winter tires.

Anyone have this done and can comment on if it does anything?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
That's the one my Dad has been going to since it opened. He seems satisfied. I've never seen someone drive so little yet somehow buy tires every year.

He used to have them sipe his all seasons until I talked him into running dedicated winter tires.

Anyone have this done and can comment on if it does anything?
I had sipes put on my lightly used Bridgestone RE92 all seasons (generally regarded as barely adequate tires) for my 2002 WRX when I first got it. Traction was perhaps mildly better in snow, but I wouldn't do it again. The rubber compound still isn't as good as a snow tire, and the random cutting of sipes into the tread don't come close to what engineered and precisely designed sipes do on snow and ice.

I think siping would work best on something like an offroad mud tire or a shitty all-season that doesn't have many in the first place. But overall, you'd be better off with putting that siping charge towards an overall better tire that doesn't need it.

On another note, the Firestone in Romeoville on Weber has done a nice job with mounting and balancing summer and winter tires that I have brought in to them. This last time, I was charged only $65 for mounting and balancing my new winter tires.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm not liking discount tire anymore either. I have a friend and a couple of her tires were losing air over a couple of days. Now this woman is cool, she's borrowed tools to work on her car , doing her own brakes and such and returns them fast and clean, knows how to weld, pretty knowledgeable.
She took her car to discount tire since that is where she got her tires to see if there was a leak. The shop said that its not the tires, there is some corrosion on the rims and she needs 4 new wheels. I am like wtf, and have her go to my local shop that proceeds to pull the tire, clean the wheel, remount, and the tires havent leaked a pound in 2 weeks.

Depends on how bad it is. I'm not taking away the fact that they were just trying to upsell, but I've now had two vehicles with wheels that got so bad around the bead and outer lip, that it's just cheaper (and better looking) to get new/newer wheels than getting the originals fixed. Two of the 16" wheels on my 'burb were so bad, that Iost 35 psi over night. YEs, I broke them down and cleaned them, but what then happened was that the corrision worked it's way around the bead to the lip and front surface of the wheel, then you're chunking off corrosion off the front of the wheel which then leave it unprotected and looked like shit. That's one of the reason I went and got the 20" Tahoe LTZ wheels late last winter.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Got in my truck last week before the "lock down". CHECK TIRE PRESSURE. Front driver side tire had 27 PSI. COOL. I regularly check the pressure almost weekly so I figured I had a leak. Went over to discount tire.. yeah I know...

WhY DoNt YoU fIX tHe LeaK yOuRsElf !?!

Sat around for a hour until someone came into the waiting area and told me I had a leak.

ME: Did you patch it?

DT: We are unable to patch it because its on the sidewall, you will need to buy a new tire.

ME: Can I see it?
(He takes me back and shows me the leak. Note they already had it patched)

ME: I am not buying new tires they still have half the life on them and I am not installing a non-matching tire. Just put this back on my truck.

DT: We legally can't put this back on your truck sir.

ME: So you removed the wheel/tire from my truck. Found the leak. Removed the tire from the wheel. Patched the leak. NOW you are telling me I need to buy a new tire and you can't put this back on my truck because the leak is to close to the sidewall?

DT: Yes

ME: Im not buying tires. Put the spare on the truck.

DT: I cannot do that it is expired.

ME: Unbelievable.

So I had to buy a $106 tire (installed) from them in order to get my truck out of the shop and they gave me the tire with the leak. Probably will have someone else put my new tire on my spare and patch the original and mount it back on my wheel. If it leaks I will have to sack up and buy 4 new tires. Yup OCD will not let me have 3 tires with 50% life and 1 with 100%. Just sucks my spare is likely rusted in place. I know if I ever had to use it would require me to cut it down. Probably will have to buy a new whatever that raises and lowers the spare tire. Fuck man this cost me money.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
20200321_112437.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info