• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Disappointed in my test drive

tonydahose

Regular
May 7, 2004
first off, i mean no harm or disrespect to your modified shelbys. i have been off this forum for about 4 years now, i had kids and they are now in pre-school and i finally have time to have fun with my car again. a buddy of mine told me about a blue convertible at golf mill ford for 43K. i went there and since the blue one was in the showroom i got to testdrive a red hardtop. here is the big shocker, it just didnt feel much faster than my 99 vert. mine is modded and i ran a 12.9 in it. with the 200 extra horse i thought i would have a sh!teating grin on my face after i got out but i was just really let down. at first i figured it was just the quiter exhaust but i brought it up to redline a few times and ehh:dunno:. what does this thing run stock in the 1/4? 13's. for the money i would have to spend to get one and THEN have to mod it...in my case it just doesnt make sense. like i said i have been out of the loop for a few years, are these as easy to mod as the 03's and do you get the same results? i know this car shines on the twistys but i mostly ran the 1/4 and had a lil fun on the street cutting corners. i think it is time to build up the engine and get a SC on mine. did any of you guys feel the same way after you drove it for the first time?

tonydahose

Regular
May 7, 2004
First how many miles where on it? Was it making any boost yet?They feel slower stock of the box then they are. They will run mid/low 12's with a good driver stock.

it was a new one, i didnt look at the miles on it, i kept seeing 47 miles till out of fuel displayed somewhere, my attention was more on the road and the rpms and speedo. i didnt feel the boost, i was waiting for it but nothing. i just spoke to someone at sutton about SCing my car and told him about the drive and he said they are tuned down from the factory so i guess that in conjunction with no break in could make it feel the way it did. it is still surprising though.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I don't know how this ANGRY symbol got here, it's probably a joke from the moderators, but "I" can't get rid of it.

:rolleyes: On my first drive my car was NOT in boost, but luckily for me, mine was set for the quickest of 2 posibilities....1. is that once the car moves for 5 consecutive miles it will go into FULL boost, 2. 50 starts. I got lucky. When leaving the dealer I was following a Roush charged 06 with 375RWHP and he ran off on me pretty bad 2 miles from the dealer in a scoot down north ave, then way out by Thorndale and Meechum I went after him again and almost HIT HIM because I was really enjoying the pull and got REAL close before applying my NEW GIANT BRAKES which got me right off his tail in time, so I knew she was ALIVE. We then ran up Meechum and I crushed the 06 in a blaze of spinning tires out of 1st into second and let up for fear of being TOO HARD TOO SOON, but none the less I knew it came to life.

The 2010 Shelby GT 500......( I have one of those you know ) is a completely different animal than the 03's. My Stage 5 ported 2.76 w/4.10's walks my 2010 from 70 well into 4th, only be eat'n up shortly there after, and I have a pulley tune already, however, my son was driving the 03 and the weight difference is upwards of 375lbs, so you see why my 03 runs off for a while. It would be an all out dog fight in a 1/4 mile run since he weighs only 135 in my 3750 03 to my 300 with a 3900lb car.

I've been told the 03-04 4.6 Cobra motor IS actually a STRONGER motor, but I don't buy it, and as far as modifying it, I think a 2.9 Whipple, a 1 piece drive shaft, some upper and lower control arms and it's a high to mid 10 car all day with Drag Radials and of course the driver mod.

I ran a 12.297 @ 117 with DR's on my first try ever, that car was flawless in it's effort, shifted like I always dreamed of, and was begging for 48-5500RPM launch, but that WILL pop the drive shaft right out of it, I have been warned so I took it out at 3800 and didn't even spin the wheels.

My point IS, you drove a car in SAFE MODE, and although the pull is DIFFERENT, trust me, this is a VERY fast car at 540HP, and I have 630 now from a simple pulley and tune. I plan to get the Whipple and go for 600-640RWHP and I have NO FEAR of enjoying 150,000 miles of trouble free engine wear.

THAT'S what Ford sold me, and Chevy doesn't. A new blower, injectors, a tune and some minor drive line enhancements and I hear they plant and RUN, I can't wait.

Mike1284

hey guy
Aug 8, 2006
Plainfield
did you drive a new '09 or new '10? i guess ive got a couple of points to make here. i have an '03 now, damn close to bone stock. that i love more than anything. my buddy that lives in az. had a new '09 gt500. when i went to visit him i got the chance to drive it. it was fully broken in, bone stock. i gotta say, i wasnt off the wall about it. power wise i was expectin to be blown away. didnt get into too much handling. as far as the looks go, 05-09 isnt for me at all. specially after seein the '10.

now dennis's '10 gt500? id trade in a heart beat, the new ones look so god damn money. not to mention the interior is a 1000% upgrade. havent driven one, yet. but i bet id be more than pleased in one.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
it was a new one, i didnt look at the miles on it, i kept seeing 47 miles till out of fuel displayed somewhere, my attention was more on the road and the rpms and speedo. i didnt feel the boost, i was waiting for it but nothing. i just spoke to someone at sutton about SCing my car and told him about the drive and he said they are tuned down from the factory so i guess that in conjunction with no break in could make it feel the way it did. it is still surprising though.

Ford has a release program in these cars you wont see boost until 100-150 miles on the clock. This is what you probably experienced. Just their way of kind of breaking in the motor and preventing it from getting damaged.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info