Dirt Cheap L67 adventures (corn star)

100percentjake

Addicted to bad ideas
Apr 19, 2016
Hi all, I've never actually made a post here before but now that I'm a few months into absolutely ruining owning my first L67 car (3rd 3800, but the others were NA) I'd make a thread.

186511971_306869224275535_3438456140702065079_n.jpg

This is my '03 Park Avenue Ultra. It was a christmas gift from my buddy Tyler who bought it at an auction for, IIRC, $800. It's got 218k miles on it and has every available option except for the HUD and rear-seat mirror/visor thingies.

As soon as I got it I did:

* Upper rad hose
* Coolant elbows (metal)
* Felpro LIM gasket
* SC snout oil (coupler was in good shape)
* All new vacuum lines
* Plugs
* Wires
* VC gaskets
* Front wheel bearings
* sway bar end links
* Front motor mount
* Oil change
* Water pump gasket
* Oil pressure sender
* Fuel filter
* Pads and rotors all around
* Front and rear exhaust manifold gaskets
* Replaced blown speakers in the rear deck
* Probably some other stuff

In the following months I also did the lower radiator hose (far more of a bitch than it should be, really) and EGR pipe.

As far as modifications/nonstandard parts:

Tuned with HPTuners for E85
ZZP 3.4" pulley
Front motor mount made from a 1984 Buick Cenury (?) sway bar end link and some hockey pucks
Replaced the flaking-chrome stock wheels with some cheap MSWs in the same size. The stockers are sitting in my shop now waiting for a muriatic acid bath to remove the chrome, followed by some silver paint.
Hilariously oversized 10" android radio so I can have Torque on my dashboard. Will go back to stock eventually when I find a good condition OEM radio to go back in.
Knocked all the PVC baffles out of the stock airbox for a more enjoyable aural experience, and cold-start vacuum cleaner noises

So for power we really just have a tune, pulley, and corn fuel.

And it works.

I was getting 10psi with no KR and about 110% IDC by the time we hit redline. Usable? Yes. I wouldn't beat on it endlessly but it's probably the absolute cheapest way to wring some additional power out of one of these. Sadly something seems to be up with my bypass actuator or *something* and I'm maxing out at 8PSI now. So... stock boost levels again. Boo. It scoots to 60 in 7 seconds dead with a lame-ass launch which is... okay for a 4,000 pig of a car. I believe stock is 8 seconds. I'd like my 10psi back, I may yoink a junkyard actuator and see if I have any better luck. I took the solenoid out of the equation and that made absolutely no difference.

Some fun things I've found in this car:
* Finger-tight trans pan bolts causing ATF to leak
* Bolts put back in the wrong places on the alternator bracket, punching a hole through the valve cover
* Some finger-tight LIM bolts
* Finger tight bolts on the alternator brace and EVAP valve mount
* The most trashed air shocks and pump I've ever seen
* Random 300w $20 garbage 6x9s in the rear deck
* Car jacked up forward of the front jack points, crushing the pinch welds and making the front fenders bow out
* Rotational play in the steering column, which is a new one. I guess there's a plastic u-joint that can go bad that isn't replaceable. Not looking forward to swapping a column in this car.

So that's about where I'm at with this thing.

I'll try to update this thread as I do stuff. I like having an easily-browsable build log.

If you prefer watching an idiot yammer into a camera I have a video playlist of my ownership with this car:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Just a warning, aside from the abysmal gas mileage…L67’s don’t start well on e85 in temps lower than 40f.

you can (and should) bump the timing up for free HP. It’s easy to add crazy amounts of timing on e85, so bump up in small steps. MBT comes in way earlier than KR, so bump up until TQ goes flat.

and my guess is the boost loss is belt slip. Had my best luck with Dayco belts, make sure tensioner is healthy

Reactions: SaturdaysGS
When you were able to see 10lbs of boost was it cold out? Just curious, because before I went turbo, my m90 setup would easily see a couple psi more during winter than summer. Just a thought man. Beautiful car and welcome! My dad had a 98 Park Ave Ultra that he sold to a friend with 230k miles about 5 years ago. Thing is still running today. Probably has 300,000 now haha

100percentjake

Addicted to bad ideas
Apr 19, 2016
Just a warning, aside from the abysmal gas mileage…L67’s don’t start well on e85 in temps lower than 40f.

you can (and should) bump the timing up for free HP. It’s easy to add crazy amounts of timing on e85, so bump up in small steps. MBT comes in way earlier than KR, so bump up until TQ goes flat.

and my guess is the boost loss is belt slip. Had my best luck with Dayco belts, make sure tensioner is healthy

Yeah... driving this car straight up didn't happen this winter. We were only able to add like a degree of timing before the car got slower. Still get random KR on shifts that I'm fairly certain is phantom.

When you were able to see 10lbs of boost was it cold out? Just curious, because before I went turbo, my m90 setup would easily see a couple psi more during winter than summer. Just a thought man. Beautiful car and welcome! My dad had a 98 Park Ave Ultra that he sold to a friend with 230k miles about 5 years ago. Thing is still running today. Probably has 300,000 now haha

Yeah... I did realize it was <40 degrees when I saw 10lbs and now it's 70-80. Duh-doi.

Reactions: TurboTPI

100percentjake

Addicted to bad ideas
Apr 19, 2016
Running into weird issues with fuel economy... it seems that most people see about 25-29 highway indicated after doing E85 and a pulley. I'm seeing more like 17 indicated on the highway, 10-12 MPG actual when I fill up.

Less than ideal.

Here's a list of things I did trying to remedy this:

chasing vacuum leaks (multiple EGR repairs)
testing boost bypass solenoid
testing MAF/replacing with known good
checked if hubs were dragging (replaced fronts)
checked if brakes were dragging
made sure all accessories spin freely
new fuel filter
pressure and flow tested fuel pump
swapped out injectors
new rear O2 sensor
new exhaust manifold gaskets
verified the readings of basically every sensor on the car, comparing with an identical car that gets 30mpg
table-by-table compared my car's tune to the tune of the 30mpg E85 park avenue

Damn thing still gets 12mpg and has 10-13% positive fuel trims. Absolutely baffled. Both cars have E85 compensation done by adjusting the injector flow rate tables 30% or whatever.

Other fun stuff:
Passenger rear door won't open. Lock rod seems to have jammed, so I guess I get to figure out how to take a door panel off of a closed door.
Rear deck speakers from the junkyard blew. Dang.
Trans is whining faintly. I thought it was wheel bearing noise until I replaced the wheel bearings and it was still there. 4t80 time? F40 time? Getrag 282 time? 0-shredded internals in 2 seconds flat.
Steering column has a stupid plastic u-joint thing deep inside of it that has an obnoxious amount of play and makes the car incredibly unpleasant to drive. Need to grab a service manual and see if there's any way to fix that.

So anyways, there's a quick update. The car has functioning air suspension now, at least. Looks a lot better when it's not sagging ass.

100percentjake

Addicted to bad ideas
Apr 19, 2016
You mentioned replacing the rear oxygen sensor but nothing I saw mentions you having replaced the Upstream oxygen sensor which is the one that actually matters
bah. I meant the front oxygen sensor. Had a brainfart because it's on the "rear" of the engine.

Zeph's PAU on E85 with the same mods as mine gets 29 indicated, 25-ish actual. I'm getting 14 indicated, 12 actual. that's... broken. Yet we can find no real differences between the two.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
cat restrictive is one of the few remaining possibilities.

unpplug upstream o2, test a hard accel 1-2nd, measure maf max at the shift/seat of pants accel

now remove the front o2 so the exhaust can go elsewhere if cat plugged, same test, if seat of the pants is better and you hit a higher maf freq at any corresponding rpm point (esp at the higher rpms's) then your cats plugged at least partially

Reactions: TurboTPI
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info