Directed Energy Weapons - Including Lightning Bolt Weapons

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
U.S. military has been experimenting with directed energy weapons for years. They already have laser beams and have experimented with a side effect of lasers - controllable lightning bolts.

When a laser fires and heats the air around the beam, it creates a path of least resistance that can carry electrical charges. Fire a laser around a storm cloud and you may get a lightning bolt following the laser beam path to its target. Tim Pool says electrical lines could create the electricity, too. I wonder if you can combine a generator with a laser to artificially create a lightning bolt gun.

These weapons would be useful against planes and rockets/missiles. Put a band of them around America and would we have a protective umbrella of lightning bolts?

Pretty wild, Flash Gordon stuff. I wonder if we have them in development already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-0RkPLpFeY

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

I hope to hell they are perfected by now, the US Navy sure has pissed away a bunch of dough building ships with huge power generating ability.
I'm hoping they can at least knock down nuc's high enough they don't do any major damage.
I would hate to lose a big city or a carrier group!!!!
Well at least I would hate to lose a carrier group!!!

A ring of super lasers protecting the borders from planes and missiles would be a nice piece of mind.
Even though I still say nobody will ever invade us, who in the frick could even think about trying to send in planes or missiles against us???
We could back track any kind of build up or launch with all the satellites we have up there now.

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

Space would be a great place to have them.
Direct solar energy 24/7 without the loss from atmosphere, they can hit incoming ICBM's,
and hopefully land based dangers like when rocketman decides to lob a missile through Allies airspace.
As soon as they see someone setting up a mobile launcher, take it out.

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

This gave me a huge smile!!

The US Air Force just edged closer to its goal of outfitting aircraft with laser weapons.
Testers at the White Sands Missile Range have successfully shot down multiple air-launched missiles
using the Self-Protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD), proving that it can hold up under intense situations.
While SHiELD is currently a ground-based behemoth (see below),
the finished technology should be portable and rugged enough to be used aboard aircraft.

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

I'm just happy they are already talking planes, so there's no reason it won't fit on a ship :)
I would give anything to be back at sea watching the laser show when china launches their so called carrier killers, and my little piss ant Cruiser takes them all out :)

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score

This gave me a huge smile!!

The US Air Force just edged closer to its goal of outfitting aircraft with laser weapons.
Testers at the White Sands Missile Range have successfully shot down multiple air-launched missiles
using the Self-Protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD), proving that it can hold up under intense situations.
While SHiELD is currently a ground-based behemoth (see below),
the finished technology should be portable and rugged enough to be used aboard aircraft.

Just what I was going to post. I know I read that the AF was successful in shooting down targets with a laser from a plane.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom