YouTube Direct Injection - The ins and outs

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Would installing a catch can help and make a big difference??
I viewed this as I really didn't want to change what GM designed. I figure their engineers know more than me and if they wanted to add a catch can that they can charge me to empty they'd do it. So I never installed one. This video makes me feel like I should have

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Would installing a catch can help and make a big difference??

Yes and no. It'll mitigate the issue, but won't stop it. It seems to just delay the inevitable.

Chemicals can help, but some manufacturers discourage it, as it'll loosen up chunks that could end up going through the engine and or turbo.

Meth injection seems to help prevent. But dual fueling seems to be the best overall solution.

The go to/safest way to clean up existing carboned up runners, is media blasting service.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Ok I'm not watching a 19 min video on a subject that's been in my industry since forever...

But what is this catch can shit you gheys are talking about

Basically it's a can that's inbetween the PCV and intake that'll take the oil/gas vapor and trap it in the can to be drained later. There's a few different designs; baffles, steel wool, etc., but the basic chase is trapping and condensing the vapor before it goes back into the intake. All the PCV does is pass along the vapor into the intake, and will build as carbon up along the valves and intake runners on DI motors.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Lmao. Once again we've been doing this for years... We just have a line that drains it back to the crank case.

Have you guys heard about these things called piston cooling jets too?

Yea diesels had that forever toos.

Maybe they're worried about the gas vapor getting into the oil and self immolating? No idea, just a thought.

Some cars have cooling jets, but seems like it's mostly high performance cars. Added expense that they don't see to want to add maybe.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Yes and no. It'll mitigate the issue, but won't stop it. It seems to just delay the inevitable.

Chemicals can help, but some manufacturers discourage it, as it'll loosen up chunks that could end up going through the engine and or turbo.

Meth injection seems to help prevent. But dual fueling seems to be the best overall solution.

The go to/safest way to clean up existing carboned up runners, is media blasting service.

There’s a lot of information that would disagree on Camaro6.com

The aftermarket catch can will keep the engine cleaner, longer

But some asshole dealers deny any warranty claims if it’s installed

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't think that it was a matter of gas engines now utilizing a technology that diesels have had for ages, it's just a matter of as new engine families are developed by manufacturer, they're taking advantage of these new features. In theory, the closer you can get the injector to the combustion chamber the more precise you can be with A/F ratios resulting be better power as well as cleaner emissions and better fuel economy from that better control over the process. I mean, think about the process for fuel delivery over the years.

- Carburetor where fuel is dumped into a device mixing incoming air, allowing for atomization, but a long distance away from the end consumer... The combustion chamber.
- Then came TBI. Similar to the carb, now you just introduced the fuel via injector for greater precision/control.
- Then came Port Fuel injection (sequential, multi-port, central port) that moved the injectors down the line, right near the intake port.
Now you have Direct Injection.

As to catch cans and what not, there is a common misconception that any oil, vapor or carbon is bad and not wanted. That is actually untrue. A small amount of this is actually GOOD for your engine and emissions/driveability. Think EGR systems, which tend to commonly let oil back into the intake... They do this by recirculating a small portion of exhaust gasses back into the engine, which contain oil, vapor, etc... In this process it reduces nitrogen oxide and can slightly reduce the need for extra fuel to be sprayed on the intake side.

Now if you're dumping your catch can on a daily basis and pouring out 3 quarts of oil and crud, there's a problem. But small amounts, no. You're actually hurting the process trapping it and removing it from the process.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
As to catch cans and what not, there is a common misconception that any oil, vapor or carbon is bad and not wanted. That is actually untrue. A small amount of this is actually GOOD for your engine and emissions/driveability. Think EGR systems, which tend to commonly let oil back into the intake... They do this by recirculating a small portion of exhaust gasses back into the engine, which contain oil, vapor, etc... In this process it reduces nitrogen oxide and can slightly reduce the need for extra fuel to be sprayed on the intake side.

Now if you're dumping your catch can on a daily basis and pouring out 3 quarts of oil and crud, there's a problem. But small amounts, no. You're actually hurting the process trapping it and removing it from the process.

Next time I drop a scope down my intake, you tell me if that small amount of vapor passing back through are good, especially in the long term...mine were worse than what was shown in the video, and is a common problem on Gen 1 EcoBooost engines, VAG 2.0 turbos, BMW turbo I6’s, and a few others. By building THAT much carbon around the runners and valves, any driveability and emissions gains are completely negated.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
There’s a lot of information that would disagree on Camaro6.com

The aftermarket catch can will keep the engine cleaner, longer

But some asshole dealers deny any warranty claims if it’s installed

Like I said, it helps, but only delays things. Unless you have a long term way of regularly cleaning the intake runners and valves will start to build up. Depending on the quality of catch can too. Throw a shitty catch can on, and most of the crap is going to get through, put a decent one on, and less will. But some always will and it’s going to build up.

What’s the consensus on camaro6? I come from the turbo DI realm, so things may be a bit different

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Well, for what it's worth, certains Cummins have a special coating internally on the EGR side of things that's supposed to help keep the surface slick to avoid carboning up... It doesn't work great on these trucks, but I bet on gassers it would work amazing....

BG also has intake cleaning products that clean intakes and valves, it's an actual system, not an additive.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Most people aren’t proactive enough to do it before it becomes a problem. Once you start with the loss in power, missing, rough idle, you’re passed the point of chemical treatment.

As an FYI Fords “fix” is that if it’s bad enough, they replace the heads...no cleaning or or media service, just full on replacement...:roflpicard:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info