YouTube Direct Injection - The ins and outs

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Next time I drop a scope down my intake, you tell me if that small amount of vapor passing back through are good, especially in the long term...mine were worse than what was shown in the video, and is a common problem on Gen 1 EcoBooost engines, VAG 2.0 turbos, BMW turbo I6’s, and a few others. By building THAT much carbon around the runners and valves, any driveability and emissions gains are completely negated.

The gen3 VAG 2.0’s have a much better PCV system than what was in the previous generation. Unless you install a catch can that replaces the PCV system completely you’re just going to have a dry can.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The gen3 VAG 2.0’s have a much better PCV system than what was in the previous generation. Unless you install a catch can that replaces the PCV system completely you’re just going to have a dry can.

I actually haven't read that much into the new 2.0/1.8 architecture. They seem to be pretty badass so far. I drove a 1.8 Alltrack the other day and was thoroughly impressed. From what I understand the 2.0/1.8's are damn near the same; 2.0 has a longer stroke and a few other goodies the 1.8 doesn't.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I actually haven't read that much into the new 2.0/1.8 architecture. They seem to be pretty badass so far. I drove a 1.8 Alltrack the other day and was thoroughly impressed. From what I understand the 2.0/1.8's are damn near the same; 2.0 has a longer stroke and a few other goodies the 1.8 doesn't.

I’m not that knowledgeable on the differences either. I just know alltrack and golf owners are putting the IS20 turbo from the 2.0 on with nothing else but a tune.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I’m not that knowledgeable on the differences either. I just know alltrack and golf owners are putting the IS20 turbo from the 2.0 on with nothing else but a tune.

Apparently the 2.0 has a steel crank vs. the 1.8's cast iron. The 2.0 also has variable valve control on both intake and exhaust, whereas the 1.8 is just on the intake. Obviously different turbo too. Interesting that it's just a tune for the turbo swap, but considering the exterior engine dimensions should be damn near close, I don't see why it shouldn't work. What kind of gains were they seeing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info