• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Differential

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Well I broke my Main Cap in my Diff and was wondering if anyone is using a diff that isnt stock? Which differential is better than stock and Since the dealer said I need a new carrier or housing since it machined for it I was wondering why not upgrade (which the bright idea was given by Kevin :biggthump) What else would be needed if went with a new diff? Does it come complete? I was looking into a Detroit Locker diff? Anyone has heard or used these in a 03/04 Cobra? Let me know thanks guys.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Dude the forums are your friends FYI YOU DON'T WANT A LOCKER, YOU WANT A
tURE TRAC!.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/what-diff-55000.html

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/detroit-locker-82117.html

A correctly setup SRA (Soild Rear Axle) will cost somewhere in the range of $2500-$3000, Around $2500 if you do the work yourself. Plus your car will ride pretty shitty compard to the IRS. If you go dragging alot then this might be for you. If you drive 90% of the time on the street, then keep the IRS & buy a spare axle, then give her hell! :gears:

Kevin

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
either a tru-trac or rebuild the traction-lock, if its the differential itself. you said busted cap which leads me to believe the housing is junk.

the kit to rebuild the traction-lock is about $85 (hazmat shipping keeps prices high) and if you want to do the extra-friction-and-steel mod, you would need to buy two kits.

I never met anyone that liked the way a detroit locker acted in their car. Between the clunking and the lurching, its definitely a diff not for the faint-of-heart.

fwiw I am set up to do complete rebuilds on IRS subassemblies (shameless self-promotion plug)

on edit: I also have a complete 03 center section i'd be willing to sell...

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
either a tru-trac or rebuild the traction-lock, if its the differential itself. you said busted cap which leads me to believe the housing is junk.

the kit to rebuild the traction-lock is about $85 (hazmat shipping keeps prices high) and if you want to do the extra-friction-and-steel mod, you would need to buy two kits.

I never met anyone that liked the way a detroit locker acted in their car. Between the clunking and the lurching, its definitely a diff not for the faint-of-heart.

fwiw I am set up to do complete rebuilds on IRS subassemblies (shameless self-promotion plug)

on edit: I also have a complete 03 center section i'd be willing to sell...

Wait you say you have the Housing for sale??? Or Am i misunderstanding that?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
I have a center section by itself with a 3.55:1 gear in it and a less-than-fresh 31-spline traction-lock in it. It is part of my spare parts supply, but if you really really need one, I can help you out. A new housing is like $600, and you'd still need to get the ring&pinion/differential installed. I'm offering mine up for $375. The Mazda guys use them in their RX-7 so the market is pretty strong for them still.

Wait you say you have the Housing for sale??? Or Am i misunderstanding that?

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
I have a center section by itself with a 3.55:1 gear in it and a less-than-fresh 31-spline traction-lock in it. It is part of my spare parts supply, but if you really really need one, I can help you out. A new housing is like $600, and you'd still need to get the ring&pinion/differential installed. I'm offering mine up for $375. The Mazda guys use them in their RX-7 so the market is pretty strong for them still.

Mark called me about this last night. I'm pretty sure he's interested in getting ahold of it.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006

Pm sent.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info