Didn't we have some flashlight snobs on here? Help me pick out a new flashlight

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Well the flashlight I bought about a year ago died, and I'm looking to buy a new one that is of better quality. This one was just a cheaper Chinese knock-off kind of light, and I'm hoping to find a better one.

The use is general, usually to scope out the back yard for opossums/skunks/raccoons before I let my dogs outside, then just general stuff around the house.

I'd like to have an adjustable beam if possible, so I'm not lighting up the neighbors behind me.

I'd like it to be USB rechargeable if possible.

I'd like to be under $125 or so if possible.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just get a big, fat Stanley Fat Max. It doesn't have adjustable beam, but is a pistol grip style and has plenty of lighting power, and rechargeable, although mine being an older model, it isn't USB rechargeable, so I don't know if the newer ones have this feature. Just looked it up, newer ones have USB charging. The other thing, is this thing is useful for working on cars, working around the house, etc... The flip out stand supports it and the one pull trigger keeps the light going. I was crawling through a crawl space at the other house to do some duct work and it was nice to have both hands free while this light shined bright as hell in there.

I think this is ~2,200 lumens.
Stanley Fat Max.jpg

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have this one for taking the dog out and spying out things in the night. Works well. Don't point it at your eyes.

71eHWv-ctwL._SL1500_.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
These harbor freight specials are suppose to be pretty nice for the money and you can usually snag a coupon making them $25. Rechargeable and they cover a wide angle from what I understand. Also has a magnet in the base so you can stick it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Reactions: bikrboy128

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Just get a big, fat Stanley Fat Max. It doesn't have adjustable beam, but is a pistol grip style and has plenty of lighting power, and rechargeable, although mine being an older model, it isn't USB rechargeable, so I don't know if the newer ones have this feature. Just looked it up, newer ones have USB charging. The other thing, is this thing is useful for working on cars, working around the house, etc... The flip out stand supports it and the one pull trigger keeps the light going. I was crawling through a crawl space at the other house to do some duct work and it was nice to have both hands free while this light shined bright as hell in there.

I think this is ~2,200 lumens.
View attachment 47730
Don't get this. Junk for the size :rofl:

You aint pocket carrying that

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
What features do you want other then an adjustable beam? Magnetic tail? Side switch? Tail switch? Strobes?

You want throwy or floody?

I have about 8-10 flashlights now :rofl: all range from $20-80.

A few on turbo mode will start fires like starting paper on fire or burning a hole in your pants :rofl:

I have a couple that have some really cool modes and menus, moonlight mode, lightning storm, candle light, slow mo strobe, tacital strobe and will also give you battery life in little flashes.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
But I don't pocket carry it. It was never intended to be a pocket light. It's a big, powerful, workhorse spotlight that I have yet to see anything posted in this thread that matches it in lumen output.
When I get home I'll post some beam shots :rofl:

FW3A puts out 2800 lumens and it's pocket sized

20191213_165735.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
But I don't pocket carry it. It was never intended to be a pocket light. It's a big, powerful, workhorse spotlight.
The picture on Amazon is hilarious though. You know how blinded that guy would be??? :rofl: you ain't seeing any cables, just a big bright blinding spot hahaha

Screenshot_20200103-160750.png

• Haha
Reactions: EmersonHart13

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I have a bunch of old 18650 powered cree bulb flashlights that are years old and funny enough 2 MagLights 3D cell ones from ULine that I put LED bulbs in. One of The mag lights lights is using 3D cells. The other one is using rechargeable AA’s with D cell adapters so it’s nice and light but still looks the part. Also a 3 bulb horizontal layout LED flashlight. Ohh and a head torch that has an external battery pack with a brick of 4 18650 cells that I also use on my bicycle with a lens that converts the beam to a flat wide pattern.

I have to stay out of this thread as my will kill me if I buy more flashlights. LOL!

Thread Info