Did Moog go to shit or something?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I have an Idler arm I replaced on my Escalade. I know that it had less than 30K on it because I did it and I've only got about 30K of my own miles on this truck. Rando bad part or do I need to start looking elsewhere for stuff? The guy at the auto shop said "You should put Moog on it, they never fail" and I was all "I'm pretty sure it was a Moog."

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Good question. My friend replaced his 08 Tahoe’s right front wheel bearing assembly with a Moog. It failed within a year, while he was on the road in northern WI during a storm.

I replaced both of mine front bearings with Timken and no issues.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Many moog items are now junk. I’ve heard it really depends on the warehouse it was made in.

I ordered two control arms. Same time. Two different locations, one in China and one in Canada. Canada was full polished and lighter weight metal. But China rough cast and a lot more heavier. Sadly I didn’t have time to order another.

Installed both. Then seem to held up over a year now. I’ve compared it to some other people on the forums, the China one looked very similar to other cheap eBay ones.

Now I just kinda go with the cheapest option with lifetime warranty, expecting to replace every 2-5 years.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
There is like a 90 billion page thread on the Thirdgen.org forums about the Moog Idler Arm issues for those cars. Seems someone fucked up somewhere and started selling the wrong idler arm but spec'd for a F-body. The angle and installed height of the arm is wrong, leading to bump-steer issues since the passenger side of the center-link is now not correct.

Its a long ass thread, but sums up nicely with a single picture.

*EDIT* Picture doesn't want to paste.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info