Did a little longer-range shooting

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
My $269 Savage 12FV chambered in .22-250 shooting some factory Hornady Superformance 50gr. V-Max. Shooting right around 1 MOA at 300 yards, that .377 MOA group was a total fluke.

Last time I shot it out to 300 yards, it averaged .6-.7 MOA groups, so I'm not sure what changed. I think it's the bag I'm shooting off of now...It just doesn't feel as stable as the plain old sandbags I was using previously.

b00sted

Reaction score
Thanks.

ISRA Range in Bonfield, IL. It's about an hour drive for me, but it's an easy drive. Straight down 57 to Manteno basically. It's nice getting there at 8am on an off-day and usually having the whole range to myself.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I need to join up some place, they're actually pretty close to me.

We have some awesome $300 gun choices these days honestly, that's just proof. I was thinking about doing 22-250 in my AR, I imagine you're not doing a lot of work around drop calculation with it at 300. Probably like a frickin laser.

01GTvert

Reaction score
Thanks.

ISRA Range in Bonfield, IL. It's about an hour drive for me, but it's an easy drive. Straight down 57 to Manteno basically. It's nice getting there at 8am on an off-day and usually having the whole range to myself.
they keep sending me email updates now that im a member. I need to get down there one day!

b00sted

Reaction score
they keep sending me email updates now that im a member. I need to get down there one day!
I'm off Thursdays and Fridays, soon to be Fridays and Saturdays. I'm always down to bring in a guest or two.

It's a great place. Especially on off days when it's nice and quiet.

b00sted

Reaction score
I need to join up some place, they're actually pretty close to me.

We have some awesome $300 gun choices these days honestly, that's just proof. I was thinking about doing 22-250 in my AR, I imagine you're not doing a lot of work around drop calculation with it at 300. Probably like a frickin laser.
It's about 5" of drop at 300 yard with factory Hornady 50gr. traveling at 4000fps. Not too shabby, seeing as how my 6.5 Creedmoor has about 12-13" drop at the same distance.

With a 200 yard zero, you don't need to worry about touching the scope if you're hunting anything larger than a prairie dog. It's such a nice round.

RAPER

Reaction score
My $269 Savage 12FV chambered in .22-250 shooting some factory Hornady Superformance 50gr. V-Max. Shooting right around 1 MOA at 300 yards, that .377 MOA group was a total fluke.

Last time I shot it out to 300 yards, it averaged .6-.7 MOA groups, so I'm not sure what changed. I think it's the bag I'm shooting off of now...It just doesn't feel as stable as the plain old sandbags I was using previously.

those Savage guns are fantastic. Any of the 12fv chamberings are great. I bought one just for the action alone but will shoot the stock barrel untill its burned out.. I put mine into a good chassis system because the plastic stock isn't the greatest however the action alone is worth the coin on what people are paying for those things

b00sted

Reaction score
Yeah that's the same reason I bought it. In the mean time, it's a perfect coyote hunting gun if I finally end up going some day.

I'll probably switch to 6.5 Creedmoor when this barrel is burned up, just because I already have everything to load ammo for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom