• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Diagnosis for rumble?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm on my way home from work today and after some stop and go driving because of a broken down semi on Harlem, I get past the congestion and start accelerating up to around 55. Just gentle acceleration, not even half throttle. As I go past 40, I feel a strong rumble that seems to be coming from the back of the car. I turned onto side streets and had no problems driving under 30 mph. Stopped and looked at all 4 wheels but didn't see anything wrong. Looked under the car but no errant fluids or obvious damage. Started for home again driving slowly and testing the car. When I would get up to around 35, the rumble would start again. Motor seems fine. Trans seems fine. Doesn't matter which gear I'm in. I may have felt a little side to side shimmy but it could be my imagination. I'm guessing wheel bearing? Could a bad bearing make the car rumble? Anyone had something similar happen to them or know what it could be?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
...well??
I'm working 7 days this week, mopstly 10 to 12 hour days so I haven't had much time to look at the car. I'm typing this while on the way to Rockford for a job. I did jack up the rear and didn't find anything obviously wrong. I will take anopther look after I wake up tomorrow.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
wheel weight fell off a tire, or they are worn to where they are out of balance. rebalance rear wheels.

that's my guess

Hi Mike. No, it's way more vibration than a wheel weight would bring. It also happened as I was driving so it wasn't a gradual going out of balance. My guess is either a wheel bearing failed or there's something wrong somewhere in the rear end. I could see it being a broken belt in the tire but the car runs fine up until 30 mph so I'm just not sure what it is.

The car is at Sutton now so I will hopefully hear what is wrong tomorrow or Monday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info