DHP for Win11, 7440 ECM upgrade, and swapping tunes for free!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My parts from UMI might not be here until March, so the garage is making me anxious. Car progress that I can make from my couch would be awesome.

I just bought a 7440 on ebay for $20 shipped. Can't beat that! Since the last time I attempted DHP usage I got a new laptop with Windows 11, so this might be a challenge. At least I have a USB port! The most recent thread regarding the downloads I've found was on 3800pro.com dated a couple years ago. I haven't even done anything yet, and I'm seeing steps that I missed when I was messing around with my laggy Windows 10 device. I already have the DHP hardware and a bench tuning harness, so I should be good to go. I'm hoping this thread will start as a DHP discussion and evolve into sort of a how-to.

It just seems criminal to pay for HP credits when I've already tuned the car, and my dyno tuner has the unlimited plan.
1641998577623.png

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I got a new to me laptop (win10), but haven't tried installing dhp onto it. Tiny tuner works fine though.

My previous laptop had windows 10, and dhp installed and worked just like it did on my XP machines.
So what exactly is Tiny Tuner and DHP? I thought DHP was the hardware and Tiny was the software, but I'm picking up that this isn't the case. I didn't get Tiny Tuner to do anything on my Win10 machine, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to without having any hardware plugged in.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
This already seems impossible since .NET framework 1.1 is no longer supported on anything Win8 or newer nor is it a download available from Microsoft. What am I missing? I can't find a straight answer.

I thought my old lap top was Windows10 but it's actually only 7. Since .NET is supposedly supported usable on that, it seems I would have better luck on that machine.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Hope this helps somebody. I found an offline installer.

And now I have PowrTuner. I'll have to fiddle with this some more when I actually get my new ECM. My understanding is that you can change the VIN in DHP, so I'll just make the new ECM VIN the same as my original. This would hopefully fool HPT into thinking that both of my ECMs are the same one, therefore requiring no more credits. Am I right in thinking this?

Reactions: sktchy and GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Hope this helps somebody. I found an offline installer.

And now I have PowrTuner. I'll have to fiddle with this some more when I actually get my new ECM. My understanding is that you can change the VIN in DHP, so I'll just make the new ECM VIN the same as my original. This would hopefully fool HPT into thinking that both of my ECMs are the same one, therefore requiring no more credits. Am I right in thinking this?

I believe you have to perform a write engine of your old file to the new pcm for that to work.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
So what exactly is Tiny Tuner and DHP? I thought DHP was the hardware and Tiny was the software, but I'm picking up that this isn't the case. I didn't get Tiny Tuner to do anything on my Win10 machine, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to without having any hardware plugged in.

Dhp is both the hardware and software.

Years later, tiny tuner came out since dhp wasn't being updated anymore. It is only capable of changing the tune. It's not able to read, or write the pcm.

Reactions: sktchy and v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I believe you have to perform a write engine of your old file to the new pcm for that to work.
In DHP?

Are you basically saying that this all would have to be done in DHP before I can fool HP? I only have a HPT file so I guess I'd need to pull the car's tune via DHP from my current ECM first. Then I use that file to write in to the new ECM?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
That is supposed to say "write entire" not "write engine."

So, I've done this before. It used to be easy when hpt would read bin files.

But, I had a couple of 98 and 99 files unlocked in hpt that I could change the vin and write entire with dhp. Then hpt would read it like normal.

For some reason, thinking that you needed hpt 2.2 to do this as it could read bins. I'm struggling to remember exactly how it worked though.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I tried getting everything set-up the rest of the way. So far it isn't looking good. I can't get the software to communicate with my interface.
1642126806285.png

1642126822816.png

I have a flashing green light on the USB adapter and a flashing red light on the PI. Does that just mean that it's on or is it angry at me? Is it possible that I need an older USB driver or something?
1642126838570.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I figured it out. Yes, I needed a driver. I downloaded it from Tripplite.
1642129000962.png

After my Windows 7 driver was installed, I reopened DHP, selected COM 4 (as suggested in the Installation window), and DHP was registered...

Then I immediately ran to the next problem.
1642129134399.png

Damn. My ECM can't be THAT weird. Can it? I pressed continue and finished the read but nothing came of it as the note said. Am I screwed?

I'm done for tonight, but I look forward to ideas. This is way further than I ever got before so I'm pretty excited about this small archaic victory. :LOL: ?

Reactions: GTPpower

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Not to be that guy but this is why I got rid of my dhp. So much easier to just drop the couple credits into hpt unless your really trying to get at the extra tables that dhp can access.

I don't think there's a whole lot your gonna need to get into that hpt won't do unless your being super particular anyway.

My advice if your trying to run it is find an old laptop with the old framework so your not trying to fight operating systems on top of having to do all the math and deal with spreadsheets and such as opposed to copying and pasting from vcm scanner to editor.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
There is a dhp support group on fb somewhere i used to be in and you may need to start with the bin files already made up for dhp. I used to have a bunch in a zip file and may still somewhere but I was graciously gifted them by someone on here.

I know there's an fbody file in there somewhere but it ultimately wasn't worth the hassle to play with iac counts and it got put on the shelf until I sold it to Ktj100 Ktj100. It's possible he's played with it and has some more up to date knowledge?

Ktj100

Jul 14, 2021
This already seems impossible since .NET framework 1.1 is no longer supported on anything Win8 or newer nor is it a download available from Microsoft. What am I missing? I can't find a straight answer.

I thought my old lap top was Windows10 but it's actually only 7. Since .NET is supposedly supported usable on that, it seems I would have better luck on that machine.
I forced .NET 1.1 to install on Windows 10 and got DHP to work that way.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I forced .NET 1.1 to install on Windows 10 and got DHP to work that way.
That's how I did it but once I got to playing with it it didn't take long for me to run back to the more user friendly interface of hpt.

I'm just thinking from my own perspective that maybe the simpler of the two would be best to start with as opposed to fighting all this out and then trying to learn on the dhp platform.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The framework situation was sorted using the link I posted. (y) I didn't figure out how to get it done on Windows 11, but I didn't really want to be using my new laptop for this anyway. Windows 7 is supposed to be the the last friendly OS before you start getting into strange glitches, but it's neither here nor there for me.

Yes, HP is much nicer in terms of interface, but there are some things on DHP that can be very helpful. $100 for the credits wouldn't be a big deal for me if I didn't already have the DHP hardware. Out of principle, I just can't justify it. I figure that I'll get DHP up and running nowsave the $100, and be happy to have this program at my disposal when/if I need it down the road.

I am curious about how to get my file supported though. I'm guessing there's some trickery involved or I missed a download. I'll play more tomorrow.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
This is what I still have in my inbox from when James originally sent me tiny tuner. It's not much but it may help. Iirc there's a Google drive that's a goldmine of bin files and what you'll need is most likely in there but I'm not sure if I still have a way of digging that up and the laptop I had it all saved to met an untimely demise. I'm sure it's still out there somewhere tho

Screenshot_20220113-212935_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Find the oside of your current HP tuners file and if you can't get a good read using dhp of it to start editing the hbt file that currently in the PC m you all go into the dhp extracted list find the o s i d you need and upload that and then reinstitute your changes from the previous Ben.

HP tuners does not have a way to edit the gear ratio per gear position table as you can with tiny tuner. I need to know where is the key to being able to use the 40 E with only a logic inversion on shift solenoid B.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Voice to Text hates me
Yeah, I'm still working on decoding the first part of your post. lol

I think I get it though. I just need to find my OSID in HPT, find the OSID extracted list, and somehow make DHP recognize that as a supported unit. Interesting.

I'm glad I'm documenting all this because there is very little in terms of pictures or videos. What little written info is readily available is very old. Then again, so is DHP. Since I'm past installation I might be at the point where all that old information can start being applied. Google time.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Okay. I'm learning and this seems wrong. I can find the OSID for my current ECM which is something I'll eventually need to match in the new ECM right? In order to do what I need to do though, I'm going to need the NEW ECMs OSID to get DHP happy enough to read. Right? Will I be able to do that in HP without buying credits? Dang. My head is spinning. Maybe I just need to wait until the new one comes in the mail. I should have it when I get home from work, and I'll have the whole long weekend to mess around.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Nah call Os IDs are mapped in. You will need to look through the extracted for your make and model and try to find the closest numerically to your osid it may well be a newer higher number because of factory osid updates. You may be better off finding one of the more map dhp Chinese food piles and Flash it and use HP tuners to license that been filed. That would give you up to 610 tables in tiny tuner for some bin files that are fully mapped OS IDs

• Sad
Reactions: sktchy and v6buicks
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info