Detailing Experts step in: Teach me about wet sanding!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Alright so the wife backed into the garage with our SUV. :rollpicard: Took out some paint down to the primer on the rear quarter panel (in a flat area). I've already gone ahead and applied 5 coats of touch up base coat from the dealer, and then cleared over it.

Of course it looks like dog shit. Also touched up some spots on the front bumper since I had enough touch up paint to go around. Also looks like dog shit. Looking to wet sand all areas flat to the rest of the paint, then compound and then polish/wax.

I assume that's the process in a nut shell but hoping for someone with knowledge to give some pointers. Was thinking of 2000, or 2500 grit sand paper to go over the touch up paint spots to flatten. Then go over with DA orbital buffer. Either way going to wait 3 weeks or so to let paint fully cure before I attempt this so shoot away!

Who's done this with success? Our SUV still has some worth, so I've either fucked it up real bad, or this is going to come out sort of successful.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
2000 grit is like rubbing printer paper on it, I would start with 1000 depending on how built up it is, personally I'm lazy and don't like to sand a lot but I start with 400-600 grit work up to about 1200 and let the compound do the rest, I would recommend not starting at anything under 1000 for your first time especially if it's a car that you care about

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So I'm a little wary of that because everything I've read says that anything less than 2000 is really hard to compound out of the original car paint. I'm not trying to wet sand down through the clear to repaint again, and the car is still original paint. I'm not a professional by any means with buffing work, just trying to level the touch up spots to the rest of the car without ruining it completely.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
3000 doesn't really cut at all. 2000 is probably a safe bet and go from there.

Is the touch up paint built up higher then the factory paint? What color is the car?

It seems higher except for what's filled in chips, and then the scratch... I filled that in a few times with about 5 coats.

It's blue.

665794_10100902275110410_206686380_o.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info