Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Haven't watched the vid yet but I've always been under the impression to wait maybe a 1000 miles or so for an actual detail. But that may only apply to cars with super expensive paint or some shit? Or to cars that literally were built then immediately shipped to a customer.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
My personal opinion on this is that a new car detail is not necessary but its definitely not going to hurt. Why not get a good base of sealant or wax on a freshly cured paint job. The one thing I told my wife the day we picked up her new explorer was that it will never look as good as it does that delivery day. We didnt have it detailed perfessionally, but I did clay and wax it. And when she washes it, it comes out looking like it was freshly detailed.

I say do it if you have the means and a detailer you can trust.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I bought the gti with 70ish miles. The detail job on it looked like shit. Cars coming from a dealer knew or otherwise generally look like shit imo. Which is why I think you'll often see new cars in for paint corrections.

I'm just waiting for warmer weather to get my car done.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I bought the gti with 70ish miles. The detail job on it looked like shit. Cars coming from a dealer knew or otherwise generally look like shit imo. Which is why I think you'll often see new cars in for paint corrections.

I'm just waiting for warmer weather to get my car done.

When I get my new car, i will ask them not to prep/detail it. I'd like to pull all the plastic off of it, and give it its first bath/clay/wax. I have been looking forward to washing/detailing my own new car now for 2 1/2 years.

On a side note, I have to buy a brand new DA flex and the whole paint correction kit from autogeek. I sold off all my old detailing tools years ago, and all my compounds and waxes are probably bad now. Man I cant wait.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I always do a full detail on all new cars. They use cheap products and do a half-assed job usually.

I've always found scratches or other imperfections on brand new cars and everything was greasy, smudges everywhere, etc.

Wash/Clay/light polish/wash/sealant/wax/glaze then a wipe down with a good detail spray for extra shine.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have seen some pretty bad rail dust on new cars. [MENTION=6298]Jeffs FRC[/MENTION] had a horrible problem with it on his 2015 GT.

My 2015 GT was really clean. I used a clay bar on the hood and it didn't have anything on it. Maybe the dealer cleaned it really well? But I still had my car detailed when it had a few hundred miles on it. It looked even better. When it was done there were no swirls or scratches and it seemed to have a deeper shine to the paint. Then the ceramic coating makes it stay cleaner longer as well as make it easier to clean. As well as make the black plastic pieces look nicer and have a deeper black color.

I doubt the average joe will do more than was and wax a new car. But an enthusiast might go the extra mile to detail it.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
You guys can stop using the old embed method :io:

i did not know there was a new one...............................

with that said, back to the topic.

I bought my 2016 truck in July of 2016. I would have to look for the build date but I fully detailed the truck in October.

I would not hesitate to fully detail a new car right away. a body shop says not to wax for 30 days ?
so even if you ordered a car, they tell you 6-8 weeks for delivery... i think you're okay.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
The rail dust on my car was so fricken bad! I don't think I've ever seen one as bad as mine...

I spent hours claying the car and basically put a dent in it. I ended up bringing the car to Skyler at Devious Detailing for a full paint correction and cQuartz application.

I believe this picture was a few swipes of the top of my trunk. The hood was much worse...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info