🔧 BUILD Dennisn's twin turbo 16 coyote.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The funny thing about the internet is not everything you read on it is true. Or people don't disclose everything. Especially when they are trying to prove something or when shit goes wrong. Did the car you read about make 900 rwhp and not have any issues? Maybe. Did that car make a glory run and they backed it down to a safer level? Probably. Does he make as many passes at the drag strip as you do at that power level? I doubt it.

I find it more times than not there is A LOT more to the story than you are reading.

Head studs are a common upgrade on any motor making to make a lot of power. Stock bolts are not able to provide the clamping force an ARP stud can offer. It is a better design and made of stronger material. These are things you have to accept with a high hp engine. The more power you make the more wear and maintenance you will have to deal with.

Is this you Daily driver? I know you are a motivated guy and like racing. I would say step back for a little while and in a week or two if you think you want to take the kit off do it then. I would hate to see you remove it all, sell it, and then later buy it all new again.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Damn Dennis sorry to hear. I'd let the car sit for awhile and have some drinks and maybe a few nice weekends not even thinking about it. Then when your head is clear figure it out.

I've seen quite a few big name shops say anything around 850+ is really pushing it on the stock block and at that point a sleeved motor is going to be much more reliable. Some guys get away with that kind of power and some don't. This is the reason I think my car will be staying happily at the current power on the safe Whipple tune. Also, I've heard that PBD tunes pretty aggressively.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Damn Dennis sorry to hear. I'd let the car sit for awhile and have some drinks and maybe a few nice weekends not even thinking about it. Then when your head is clear figure it out.

I've seen quite a few big name shops say anything around 850+ is really pushing it on the stock block and at that point a sleeved motor is going to be much more reliable. Some guys get away with that kind of power and some don't. This is the reason I think my car will be staying happily at the current power on the safe Whipple tune. Also, I've heard that PBD tunes pretty aggressively.

Depends on how you ask Pbd to tune it, mines tuned pretty conservative

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I did buy a complete long block. Changed out the springs and crank sprocket. I'm sure once that motor was cracked into any type of warranty is out the window. Thought the Aluminator's were good to a thousand to the wheels that's why I left it under thinking I'd be ok for a while. Now I'm starting to hear head studs should be used after 850-900. Odd, I hear all these other guys running 9-950 on stock blocks with no issues.

Wtf

I have a feeling those are hero runs on the stock motor, maybe one track visit to get a number and or one dyno day turned up like that,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I hope you get it all sorted out

Dennisn

Regular
Sep 30, 2015
Streamwood
So the seasons over and I was able to get back to the track after more problems with the car. After studding it and put it back on the dyno and everything looked good. On the way to a track rental car suddenly had low oil pressure. Turned around and went home. Troubleshot and after replacing oil filter oil pressure came back to where it should be. Was able to get to the track and made a few decent passes last weekend. On way home noticed oil pressure is about 15 psi lower than when it is with a new filter. Changed oil filter again and pressure comes right back to where it was. 95 psi on startup and eventually settling between 60-65 at idle.

At least I was able to get out. Gonna add the transbrake and hoping to get the sixty down. she should get down then. I'm still at a loss for the oil pressure dropping.

Thread Info