20200331_071845.jpg
20200316_180832.jpg

giphy.gif

@raresvt

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I'm not a big fan of engine oil testing like this. I worked in an oil testing lab for a few years and I don't bother with it. If results are about average, great. If not, how far off is too far? I wouldn't trust their options. Thier goal is to get you to keep testing, not offer real advice about your motor. (Many of those 'wear' metals are actually in fresh, unused oil and I suspect filter media has a big effect as well.)

You would really need to test way more often than once an oil change and then you would need similar motorS to compare to.

Fuel, coolant, soot and water contamination are what you need to worry about.
1. Make sure there is oil in the engine (check it between changes)
2. Change it periodically (I change it when the dash says percent life is about 25%)
3. I used to say conventional is good enough - but with the timing chain 'stretch' in these motors from microscopic wear, I use synthetic. (Castrol Edge is cheap at Walmart in the 5 quart jugs).

I hope this helps.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I'm not a big fan of engine oil testing like this. I worked in an oil testing lab for a few years and I don't bother with it. If results are about average, great. If not, how far off is too far? I wouldn't trust their options. Thier goal is to get you to keep testing, not offer real advice about your motor. (Many of those 'wear' metals are actually in fresh, unused oil and I suspect filter media has a big effect as well.)

You would really need to test way more often than once an oil change and then you would need similar motorS to compare to.

2. Change it periodically (I change it when the dash says percent life is about 25%)
3. I used to say conventional is good enough - but with the timing chain 'stretch' in these motors from microscopic wear, I use synthetic. (Castrol Edge is cheap at Walmart in the 5 quart jugs).

I hope this helps.
I would love to be able to see coolant before it did damage.

If you recall. I bought this car strictly on the signs of good maintenance. When I looked at the front cover I could see it was just recently reinstalled. I told the dealer to not change the oil.

I sampled it and JUST as I thought, traces of coolant(from the job).

Next sample it was gone. So that confirms for me that the water pump and more than likely chains were JUST done.

That's worth it to me

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

I hope this helps.

If they wanted you to test more, why would they tell you to go longer between changes........

Reactions: DEEZUZ

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
If they wanted you to test more, why would they tell you to go longer between changes........
They are thinking long term. If the reports were only "everything looks fine, keep doing the same" time after time, you'll start wondering why you are testing. They either have to give you bad news or good news to help you justify the cost of the testing.

Thread Info