20200331_071845.jpg
20200316_180832.jpg

giphy.gif

@raresvt

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I go 10k on Mobil1 synthetic in my Jetta hybrid pet owners manual.
What are bad signs in oil reports? It’s like Chinese to me...

High metal content as mentioned. Also fuel in the oil. If it is higher levels (and you're not letting it idle for hours on end or lots of cold running, not letting it get up to full operating temps), could be a sign of a potential ring problem, particulates in the oil, means that the filtration isn't working well. It looks for coolant in the oil too. Obviously if there's coolant in the oil, that's a BIG flag something ain't right. I.E. a head gasket... They check the viscosity at that mileage and it's flashpoint (the point it actually will flame up)

Things in his specific report is that they are comparing it to his last sample as well as averages for a healthy engine. You're looking for trends. His look fairly consistent so I don't really see problems. His 3/11 sample had higher Iron, Potassium and silicon contents, but that could've simply been some form of contamination that got in the plastic bottle as they aren't present (all three are much lower in the latest sample).

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
High metal content as mentioned. Also fuel in the oil. If it is higher levels (and you're not letting it idle for hours on end or lots of cold running, not letting it get up to full operating temps), could be a sign of a potential ring problem, particulates in the oil, means that the filtration isn't working well. It looks for coolant in the oil too. Obviously if there's coolant in the oil, that's a BIG flag something ain't right. I.E. a head gasket... They check the viscosity at that mileage and it's flashpoint (the point it actually will flame up)

Things in his specific report is that they are comparing it to his last sample as well as averages for a healthy engine. You're looking for trends. His look fairly consistent so I don't really see problems. His 3/11 sample had higher Iron, Potassium and silicon contents, but that could've simply been some form of contamination that got in the plastic bottle as they aren't present (all three are much lower in the latest sample).

So that was the oil that came with the car.

Keep in mind one of the reasons I bought this car was signs of factory maintenance. Meaning simply I saw 2 different color RTV on the front cover meaning someone was in there and hopefully changed the water pump and timing chains. The contamination from that initial leads me to believe the repair was done, they splashed some coolant in the crankcase from dropping water pump, and also some wear metals from failed parts..... It's getting cleaner and cleaner. I like.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Fuck man I know. That requires buying tires too which I haven't even begun to search for what I want in those.
For tires on my G37 AWD I worked it down to a choice between the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ and the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06. Pricing and ratings/reviews between the two are really close. I chose the Michelins because the sidewall was a bit more stiff, so better for performance. However already having the sport suspension (and seats) made the car a little too stiff for regular cruising. My next go-around will be the Connies.

Also, a friend has the 2015 version of my car, but with 17" wheels instead of my 19's and he went with the Connie's last year right before the first snow came in October. He has been very pleased with his choice.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I love the Continental's. They've been hitting it out of the park in the past few years.

I have/had DWS's on the Caddy (my A/S tire), and the Impala
I have DW's on the Caddy
I have Control Contacts on both vans
I have Sport Contact's on the G8's OEM 19's
I have DWS 06's on the Camaro 20's now on the G8.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I love the Continental's. They've been hitting it out of the park in the past few years.

I have/had DWS's on the Caddy (my A/S tire), and the Impala
I have DW's on the Caddy
I have Control Contacts on both vans
I have Sport Contact's on the G8's OEM 19's
I have DWS 06's on the Camaro 20's now on the G8.
I think they might be marginally more quiet than the Pilots, as well.

Wouldn’t make a difference on my car, for an Infiniti the sound dampening sucks. At 75mph it’s just as loud in the car as it is my 07 Silverado with AT tires.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think they might be marginally more quiet than the Pilots, as well.

Wouldn’t make a difference on my car, for an Infiniti the sound dampening sucks. At 75mph it’s just as loud in the car as it is my 07 Silverado with AT tires.

MIchelin Pilot Sport AS3's were what the previous owner of the Caddy had when I bought it. They were a harder compound (leading to more noise) and then very "slippery" like smug mentioned in the snow.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Actually, the Connies are a harder compound with a longer rated life. The tread pattern plays a large part in noise and grip. I've had no issues with the tires in the rain and snow, but it is AWD. They have more grip than I had expected them to, and they have about 15,000 miles on them. The tires that were on my car when I got it were Falken Pro G4 A/S and holy shitballs did they suck, even with 90%+ tread on them. They were shit scary in the rain and totally worthless in the snow, even a dusting. For snow they were worse than the Dunlop SP9000's I had on my Prelude in the middle of winter, and those are three season tires.

The Michelins are a massive improvement, like an order of magnitude better. It's the stiffer sidewall that leads to the perceived "roughness" in the ride and slightly lower snow rating than the Connie's since they don't flex as much. However, you whip them into a corner at speed and they give better feedback. The stiffer sidewall has also majorly helped in saving my wheels. With the Falkens a moderate bump would transfer through the sidewall into the wheel and dent it. Had to have the rims straightened four times from small bumps/potholes. I-65 is notorious for eating tires and wheels. With the Pilots I've hit bumps that I would have sworn could have cracked the wheel and they're still true.

I just mention road noise cause the car sucks, LOL. It was even worse with the Falkens, the Michelins are much quieter. I just get a lot of noise through the wheel wells and transmission tunnel. I don't have the motivation to rip all the underside apart to spray dampening material like others have done. Should have gotten the Lexus RC instead :ROFLMAO:

I researched both the Pilot 3's and DWS 06's for almost a year before getting them. It was a lot of back-and-forth, reading reviews from people with a similar car driving in similar conditions, how long they've had them, etc.

One thing that was a deciding factor was that I wasn't dependent upon snow rating as a primary factor. The car mostly sits in the winter cause I have my truck. I just wanted to make sure I got A/S tires in case I had to drive in the snow. I had looked at the Pilot 4's, but they are just too soft for my driving (and they're only 3 season tires). I'll do 1000 miles in a weekend going back and forth to my dad's. They'd wear out way too fast and I'd never come close to maximizing their potential.

Just my $0.02 in a lot of fookin words. :rofl:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Aw shit, I completely deviated from the thread topic and rambled too far. My apologies sir. Hell, there is probably a dozen or two tire threads floating around this could be tacked on to.

Going back to your oil testing results, it does motivate me to send a sample from my truck to see how it is doing.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That's why usps is absolutely fucking useless.

If my company didn't have multi, multi million dollar contracts with them I'd pay for them to go belly up.

Fuckin useless

and just think of all the people that want mail in voting.

fuckers can't get a tiny container 220 miles in under a month.

Thread Info