Deerfield Bans AR15's and High Capacity Mags

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I knew Highland Park passed something similar, but I didn't know it stood after going to the Supreme Court.

Deerfield Village Board unanimously votes to ban some semi-automatic weapons | abc7chicago.com

The Deerfield Village Board voted unanimously to ban some semi-automatic firearms.

The amendment to the village's gun ordinance restricts firearms village leaders define as assault weapons, such as AR-15s.

AR-15 rifles have been used in various mass shootings, including the Parkland, Florida school shooting.

"This is our fight. This is our generation's fight, and we're going to keep fighting," said Deerfield High School student Ariella Kharasch. "Thank you for being part of that."

Deerfield's new ordinance also prohibits high-capacity magazines. The law is patterned after Highland Park's ban on high-powered weapons.

Highland Park's law survived a 2015 legal battle that went to the United States Supreme Court.

"If Highland Park, if Deerfield, if more towns say no to this type of weapon, maybe the state of Illinois says no," said Deerfield Village Manager Kent Street. "Maybe the Federal government says no."

Opponents of the ban said it makes Deerfield less safe.

"You are the bureaucrats that Thomas Jefferson warned us about," said Deerfield resident Dan Cox.

The new law goes into effect on June 13. Residents who do not remove the banned weapons from their homes by that date face a fine of $1,000 per day.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Residents who do not remove the banned weapons from their homes by that date face a fine of $1,000 per day.

K

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Chock that up to rich libtards getting their way. The 2nd amendment is seriously under attack. This may cause a civil war faster than the race wars.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
How are they going to enforce the fine? Just come into your house and look?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Illinois have a preemption law? This won't go far if so.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
I really think the Supreme Court needs to take on some of these cases and put this shit to rest already.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
In other news Criminals are excited to move operation to Deerfield where gun restrictions mean less likelihood of being overwhelmed by home defense.

OP
Ryan02Stang

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I'd love to see the crime rate where an AR15 was used in Deerfield. Wouldn't be surprised if not a single crime has taken place in Deerfield where an AR15 was involved.

Way to focus on the important issues!

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see the crime rate where an AR15 was used in Deerfield. Wouldn't be surprised if not a single crime has taken place in Deerfield where an AR15 was involved.

Way to focus on the important issues!
But virtue needs to be signaled so we are aware of it.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
Since the early 1980s, approx 12% has of US mass shootings involved a semi-automatic rifle. Close to 88% involved hand guns and a few percent shotguns.

So, again, only thing these suburbs have accomplished is providing another example of them making decisions based on feelings (without assessing data / facts), and infringing on gun ownership rights. Meaning, they are not implementing a solution that reduces the possibility or likelihood of a mass shooting.

If the intent is to stop mass shootings, then they are passing legislation against the wrong gun type.

So, why would the public want officials who make decisions based on feelings / personal opinions in office?

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Since the early 1980s, approx 12% has of US mass shootings involved a semi-automatic rifle. Close to 88% involved hand guns and a few percent shotguns.

So, again, only thing these suburbs have accomplished is providing another example of them making decisions based on feelings (without assessing data / facts), and infringing on gun ownership rights. Meaning, they are not implementing a solution that reduces the possibility or likelihood of a mass shooting.

If the intent is to stop mass shootings, then they are passing legislation against the wrong gun type.

So, why would the public want officials who make decisions based on feelings / personal opinions in office?
I would ultimately go with why is there zero focus on suicides and gangs? If you look at gun deaths in the US, ~2/3 are suicides and ~25% are gang involved. I mean, we're trying to save lives here right?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My family Easter get together turned into a feelings vs data debate that lasted more than half of the party when I finally asked to shut it down. Tough to see good people try to argue for feelings being part of the conversation in legislation, but then demonstrate to them so quickly why that just is not possible. Decisions need to be data driven or else they will cause an unintended consequence, push the intended outcome further than intended (clear backpacks), or simply fail entirely and be repealed making any future attempt even more difficult.

Outlaw

Reaction score
My family Easter get together turned into a feelings vs data debate that lasted more than half of the party when I finally asked to shut it down. Tough to see good people try to argue for feelings being part of the conversation in legislation, but then demonstrate to them so quickly why that just is not possible. Decisions need to be data driven or else they will cause an unintended consequence, push the intended outcome further than intended (clear backpacks), or simply fail entirely and be repealed making any future attempt even more difficult.
Our Easters sound similar :rofl:

OP
Ryan02Stang

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Thank God my wife and I only have one liberal in our family (her sister). And she moved to Dallas and is too broke to come in for holidays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom