Deep fry a turkey anyone?

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I kind of like doing it outside in the cold. Us guys will all go outside, light up the cigars, crack some beers and sit out in back while it fries. Too cold out there for girls or kids!

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
Could have been the model but some of our turkey days are cold enough not to maintain temp at full blast

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Did it one year at my brother in laws. It was super cold that year and a lot of wind. We had it away from the house to not catch it on fire and couldn't get the oil to tempnwith the bird in it. So if it's cold out you may have problems if you don't have a lot of heat and a wind block.
Could always wrap a healthy layer of tin foil around the bottom to stop the wind from blowing the flame around.

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've cooked propane when it was like 10-15 degrees. Build a wall with garbage cans. Or just do it in the garage with the door open. Yeah I did that too.

Keep all your oil and everything inside too so it is warmer when you start cooking.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
thanks checking out the injection stuff, so what do the masters think? peanut or vegetable oil? special seasoning mix?

OP
Frank Dukes

Frank Dukes

Reaction score
gonna try a dry brine myself. gotta get that done when i get home from work today. KISS with the seasonings.. salt pepper and garlic with a little butter for me.

EmersonHart13

Donating Member
Reaction score
I do vegetable because of peanut allergies amongst friends/family... And it is cheaper and some think the peanut flavor is overpowering if you do any seasonings.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Got a deep fryer and oil for the turkey. Will pick up an injector too and try it out.

Do any of you guys Brine the turkey the day before deep frying? I know the bird has to go in dry, but does brining work well with deep fried turkey?

EmersonHart13

Donating Member
Reaction score
I would probably never brine a fried turkey. It wouldn't hurt, but I don't see how it will noticeably help. Frying a turkey sears the outside so the moisture is essentially trapped. I like to brine previously frozen meat where the cooking is going to dry my meat out.

P40E

Reaction score
Please video both turkey fryings , this sounds like it could be quite entertaining . :popcorn:

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
The best part is slowly lowering and raising your meat in and out of the oil

Jeffs FRC

Reaction score
I've been frying turkeys for probably a decade and it's all my family will eat now. There is absolutely no need to brine a fried turkey IMO.

I've tried all kinds of injections over the years and the one that always goes the quickest is just a simple teriyaki injection. I don't even bother with other injection recipes because everyone always goes for the teriyaki bird.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
we inject and fry with cajun, creole, garlic butter, b dubs spicy garlic, and 2 or 3 other flavors. we just fry the breasts though

Jeffs FRC

Reaction score
we inject and fry with cajun, creole, garlic butter, b dubs spicy garlic, and 2 or 3 other flavors. we just fry the breasts though
Seriously, try one breast with teriyaki. I remember the first time I did one at my sisters when I was down visiting in Florida. She looked at me like I was nuts.

I made two birds, one teriyaki and one butter/garlic/herb. When I got back up to go for seconds the entire teriyaki bird was gone:angrys00ls:

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Seriously, try one breast with teriyaki. I remember the first time I did one at my sisters when I was down visiting in Florida. She looked at me like I was nuts.

I made two birds, one teriyaki and one butter/garlic/herb. When I got back up to go for seconds the entire teriyaki bird was gone:angrys00ls:
I want to, unfortunately we only have 4 breasts this year and I am the only one that cares for teriyaki:angrys00ls:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You guys are killing me with your delicious fried turkey ideas.

I'm Webering mine. Fryer is staying in the shed. MUST be strong. MUST not give in to the lure of the fry... :smile:

Jeffs FRC

Reaction score
You guys are killing me with your delicious fried turkey ideas.

I'm Webering mine. Fryer is staying in the shed. MUST be strong. MUST not give in to the lure of the fry... :smile:
Why not do both? I usually fry two, but this year decided to smoke one of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom