• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Deep Cycle Battery for Sump Pump

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
So my Mother in Law keeps burning out deep cycle batteries and has to replace them every two years in her battery backup sump pump... So i had three questions....

First is the group code she has is 27 which Walmart doesn't appear to have in stock. So can I go to a group size 24 which is a close in size?

Group 24-DIMENSIONS IN INCHES*: 11.13" 6.60" 9.25" LxWxH
Group 27-DIMENSIONS IN INCHES*: 12.00" 6.63" 9.06" LxWxH

Assuming the CCA is close they should perform the same?

Second.

Should I buy a gel battery and put it in its place? The reason her other ones burn out is because they always have 0 water in them lol.

Third- Any cheaper places that walmart?

And before anyone states why am I helping my Mother in law its because she is amazing (watches daughter 2 days a week) and will do anything to help so.....

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Group sizing doesn't really matter as it's kind of a universal setup.

I def would recommend some type of gel battery. I've only used Optima's in the past. I currently have a spare 7 year old Optima Red Top that basically sits in my garage floor. I never charge it, maybe once a year, If I remember. Damn that never lets me down!

Make sure you have a good tickle charger on it as well.

*edit* Trickle Charger *edit* but leaving tickle cause it's hilarious...

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The battery maintainer that is connected to the battery is probably bad, especially if you're frying batteries every 2 years. I had this happen once on an old battery backup sump pump system I had. I got 10 years out of the last one I had and just replaced it only because it was 10 years old, even though it still tested just fine.

Wouldn't want to see you cook an expensive Optima due to a bad battery maintainer.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
The battery maintainer that is connected to the battery is probably bad, especially if you're frying batteries every 2 years. I had this happen once on an old battery backup sump pump system I had. I got 10 years out of the last one I had and just replaced it only because it was 10 years old, even though it still tested just fine.

Wouldn't want to see you cook an expensive Optima due to a bad battery maintainer.
Ding ding ding exactly. Happened to me until I got a good trickle charger.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Are these maintenance free batteries?

Reason I asked, is after about 5 years, two weeks ago, my tender/minder started chiming that there was something wrong with the battery.

So I dug in to it, only to find that it was low on water. I checked it to see if it was still putting out 12 volts at least (it was), and since it was serviceable, I just filled up all cells with water, put everything back together and it's been fine since. This won't absolve the fact that I should probably be shopping for a new battery as the one in there is getting old, but it at least bought me some time.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Are these maintenance free batteries?

Reason I asked, is after about 5 years, two weeks ago, my tender/minder started chiming that there was something wrong with the battery.

So I dug in to it, only to find that it was low on water. I checked it to see if it was still putting out 12 volts at least (it was), and since it was serviceable, I just filled up all cells with water, put everything back together and it's been fine since. This won't absolve the fact that I should probably be shopping for a new battery as the one in there is getting old, but it at least bought me some time.

Everytime the batteries are bone dry.... so it kills the batter..

I bought an AGM for 100 bucks after rebates etc and installed! So we should be good to go!

Thank you all!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info