Decisions Decisions..

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
I have a conundrum currently and wanted to get an outsiders perspective. I work in logistics (import and brokerage). Been doing so since 2005. Anyway, currently at my job, there is a new position that opened up in San Francisco of a branch manager role. I am currently a supervisor (without title) but with the pay and duties.

I wasn't really thinking about applying for said position but it is a goal of mine to have that position. Also, the president of the company approached me and asked if i had applied yet. I told him that i was thinking about it but did not. He asked me if i would be interested in it because he knows my work ethic etc and that i would be a great fit to run and grow that branch. These positions do not become available often in this company because we only have 8 branches in the USA at the moment and nobody ever usually leaves said positions. The salary, title, responsibilities, and room for growth at this level are great, in my opinion.

One of the reasons i am somewhat hesitant is for a few factors:

1. I absolutely love the people i work with now. This is the best group of friends/co-workers i have ever had.

2. Currently, i am treated as a supervisor without the title (again, small office of 7 people in imports). I am one of the 3 trusted ones as far as doing anything.

3. Most of all, my current boss (branch manager). He can take things VERY personally and even if I lay everything out as far as how I would like this opportunity to grow, yada yada, he would still get super pissed and try to talk me out of it or even go as far as try to get me to not get the position because he doesn't want to lose me. Keep in mind, in his current position, he slid in there with no experience in what i do. He can't do what i do. He was given the opportunity when he was handed the job but said i do not want to learn this. For those that do not know, this job entails that you have knowledge and experience in operations (imports and exports). He has neither but still got the job. He has a sales background.

I guess I just feel like its a catch-22. If I go into his office and tell him that I am interested in applying for said position, he is going to get all butt hurt about it and then hold it against me. (He did that for a Denver job last year). Although since Denver, he has fought for raises and duties for me. Only because I was still his employee and not another branch.

If I get the job, awesome. I can build the branch as to how I see fit and learn some new skills along the way. If I do not, then it is fine as well but then I have to deal with my boss' craptastic attitude all because I wanted to better myself.

Thoughts?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Yeah, definitely negotiate salary based on cost of living. I have A couple friends that make 80K+ a year or close to it and can barely afford rent due to high cost of living. (No they aren't snowflakes with liberal arts degrees. Two are firefighters, one is a Programmer) One reason they keep spilling over here :squint:
Semi good news [MENTION=410]Bruce Jibboo[/MENTION], housing seems to kind of slown down the past couple months. For the time being I think we've hit the roof of what people are willing to pay for a house here. Although I doubt that will last.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
As I see it, there are only two reasons to consider passing on this job (if that's what you decide to do, not saying which is the right call because that's your decision). I also included responses to your comments

The first reason: Location. San Fran is miserable. I just looked it up...the cost of living is 67% higher in SF than it is in Denver, and frankly that seems conservative IMO. I wouldn't relocate because of my thoughts on CA politics, but from a strictly financial perspective if i were you it'd take an 80-85% pay bump to even get me to consider the position. That's probably a deal breaker for your company but maybe not. https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/denver-co-vs-san-francisco-ca

The second reason: You like what you do, you like where you live, you don't want additional stress. In other words you're doing well, happy, and a bit complacent. Nothing wrong with this...only you can decide if you want to leave your comfort zone

If you want to be promoted but decide to pass up the position due to location, make sure to have a face to face with the President so he knows you're still interested in moving up, but that the location and cost of living makes it a non-starter

1. I absolutely love the people i work with now. This is the best group of friends/co-workers i have ever had.
- This certainly makes leaving difficult, but will be necessary for growth at some point

2. Currently, i am treated as a supervisor without the title (again, small office of 7 people in imports). I am one of the 3 trusted ones as far as doing anything.
Again, you'll have to step outside the comfort zone if you want to grow. If you don't want to grow and you can see yourself doing this the rest of your life, more power to you.

3. Most of all, my current boss (branch manager). He can take things VERY personally and even if I lay everything out as far as how I would like this opportunity to grow, yada yada, he would still get super pissed and try to talk me out of it or even go as far as try to get me to not get the position because he doesn't want to lose me. Keep in mind, in his current position, he slid in there with no experience in what i do. He can't do what i do. He was given the opportunity when he was handed the job but said i do not want to learn this. For those that do not know, this job entails that you have knowledge and experience in operations (imports and exports). He has neither but still got the job. He has a sales background.
Whether you like him or not, this is not someone worthy of even thinking about when considering a promotion. If he really cared, he'd want you to grow and be promoted. If he wants to keep you just because he hasn't developed his branch enough to have some redundancy nor has he learned the job himself, he's both selfish and an idiot.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
As I see it, there are only two reasons to consider passing on this job (if that's what you decide to do, not saying which is the right call because that's your decision). I also included responses to your comments

The first reason: Location. San Fran is miserable. I just looked it up...the cost of living is 67% higher in SF than it is in Denver, and frankly that seems conservative IMO. I wouldn't relocate because of my thoughts on CA politics, but from a strictly financial perspective if i were you it'd take an 80-85% pay bump to even get me to consider the position. That's probably a deal breaker for your company but maybe not. https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/denver-co-vs-san-francisco-ca

The second reason: You like what you do, you like where you live, you don't want additional stress. In other words you're doing well, happy, and a bit complacent. Nothing wrong with this...only you can decide if you want to leave your comfort zone

If you want to be promoted but decide to pass up the position due to location, make sure to have a face to face with the President so he knows you're still interested in moving up, but that the location and cost of living makes it a non-starter

These are some great points. Thank you.

Yeah, i was looking up the surrounding area to SF to see if it is cheaper near SF but not in it. There are some places comparable to here as far as city vs burbs living. Currently i drive an hour so i am no stranger to commute.

I really do want to move up. I like what i do but i want to advance. I can see myself taking it to the next level asap.

The president knows i want to advance but like i said, there are only so many branches that need a upper management person because they never leave.

other branches: New York (COO is there running it), Chicago, Denver, Duncan, SC (just got a new branch manager), Houston, Baltimore, Los Angeles.

Well that same boss burned me once because he didn't want to lose me. They actually re-wrote the handbook based on my experience the last time with him. So he has a say but not final say. The president and anyone at the receiving branch has rank on decision.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mikey, a few suggestions...

First, decide IF you want the job. None of this matters if you decide you want to stay where you are.

If you do want it, don't let a boss stop you from going for it. You might be surprised what he offers you if he thinks you really may be leaving him.

A good method for showing your boss how you feel is to use a sales tactic called "Shoe is on the other foot". Tell him you have a question for him and ask him what he would do if he wanted to move up in the company and had a chance to do so. Verbally put him in the same position as you and ask him what he would do. Make it clear the new job is VERY attractive. That should get the discussion going and, if it's within his power, get you better money or perks to stay or maybe understanding and acceptance from him as to why you want to go.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
These are some great points. Thank you.

Yeah, i was looking up the surrounding area to SF to see if it is cheaper near SF but not in it. There are some places comparable to here as far as city vs burbs living. Currently i drive an hour so i am no stranger to commute.

I really do want to move up. I like what i do but i want to advance. I can see myself taking it to the next level asap.

The president knows i want to advance but like i said, there are only so many branches that need a upper management person because they never leave.

other branches: New York (COO is there running it), Chicago, Denver, Duncan, SC (just got a new branch manager), Houston, Baltimore, Los Angeles.

Well that same boss burned me once because he didn't want to lose me. They actually re-wrote the handbook based on my experience the last time with him. So he has a say but not final say. The president and anyone at the receiving branch has rank on decision.

Tell the Pres you're very interested in moving up but the location has you concerned, and that you'd like to go look at it. In that same conversation, talk cost of living adjustments and see what his thoughts are. If he wants you to move for a 40% bump, that sounds like a lot, but in this scenario it's actually a significant pay cut.

The other thing to consider...if branch managers never move...do you really want to be in san fran for the long term? Rent is $3.5k+, houses are $750/ft for pieces of crap.

My vague understanding of the real estate prices in SF is that lack of transportation infrastructure means you are either pay the crazy prices to be in the high-demand areas, or spend 3+ hours/day commuting to/from work. Take a look at the location of the office and nearby housing, and figure traffic is going to be awful if you want to commute to cheaper housing so check google maps at 7a and 5p local time.

The other thing to consider is the people...there are some straight up weirdos in SF IMO. Spend time there before accepting the position.

Just trying to make sure you consider all possible issues

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Agree with Conrad; location may be a concern.

Would need to understand 1 time salary market adjustment along with relocating package.

I like the approach of “what would you do?” when asking

Understand if there are more affordable areas with a commute you can live with.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I agree with everything Conrad has said.... I would definitely make sure to talk to the pres and let him know you like the company and would love to move up but dont just think San Fran is a good fit for you at a minimum.... That way he knows you do want to move up should one of the other locations come available.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Hello all,

thanks again for all the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

I talked to my boss and he was 100% for it. He said that he would absolutely hate to lose me but he knows that I want this position and that he help me with anything i need. I have his full support.

Right now, I have it negotiated where I receive more vacation (6 weeks total for now), company car, company card, moving expenses covered, and a little more money off the bat and I would get another 15k after one year of completion.

I haven't signed anything yet. That is the next step after determining if there is anything else i can try and get.

Before everything is said and done and both parties agree, they are going to send me out there for one week to check everything out and make sure it is still something that i really want.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Update: They have agreed to my wishes as far as salary, vacation and perks. So i will be going out to SF for 3-4 weeks to check everything out, get a lay of the land, and find a place to live.

They actually just announced my promotion on Friday.

Anyone been to San Francisco before? I've been once but don't recall too much of it. Any tips? Pointers? etc?
[MENTION=9261]Mike[/MENTION]K

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Update: They have agreed to my wishes as far as salary, vacation and perks. So i will be going out to SF for 3-4 weeks to check everything out, get a lay of the land, and find a place to live.

Anyone been to San Francisco before? I've been once but don't recall too much of it. Any tips? Pointers? etc?
[MENTION=9261]Mike[/MENTION]K

Congrats man!!! I have been there for a long weekend (4 days) and absolutely loved it. I have no pointers, but would move there in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented its self.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

@MikeK

Congrats!

Never been there and have no pointers but congrats on the promotion!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info