đź‘‹ INTRO dead simple: AC's VW Mk7.5 Golf R

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
My real-world dream car.
I've always loved GTI's/R32's and used to test drive the older 1.8T/VR6 stuff any chance I got.

After some years spent with other manufacturers, most notably two WRX/STi's, and some years spent away from cars, I decided to live while I can and get what I had wanted to buy brand new. This is exactly the car I want: the wheels I wanted, 7-speed DSG, and Oryx White. The only thing I might possibly have done differently is gotten it in Tornado Red had I found one. In stock form, it shattered any expectations I had, as did the S3 I also drove. The balance of practicality and power was perfect for me, as I need a child friendly daily driver.

Stage 1 came and went quickly.
Stage 2 stayed for a bit and was a blast. Running an E30 blend got me thirsty for more ethanol.
After a bit of deliberation and saving, I upgraded one of the fuel pumps (high pressure) and went with an off-the-shelf Stage 2 E85 tune. The car makes awesome power on E85 and is astounding given how little has actually been done.

Up next is a much needed intercooler upgrade, some suspension work, and some aero/aesthetics.

Currently:
- 034 Motorsport turbo inlet hose/elbow, turbo muffler delete, and catted downpipe
- EQT Stage 2 E85 ECU/Unitronic Stage 2 TCU (EQT DSG tune coming soon)
- 18"x9" Enkei RPF1 + 235/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

IMG_0606-2.jpg

Stage 1 came and went quickly

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
I scheduled an early DSG/Haldex service and figured I'd get my downpipe installed/tune updated while I was there at Komet Motorsport.

034 catted downpipe/otherwise stock exhaust, including resonator. I love the difference in sound and the change in responsiveness/feel is unreal! So quick, so immediately torque-y, yet it pulls harder all the way around. I don't think I'm even going to bother installing the inlet parts I have as I think the car's stunning as is. Next up is an intercooler upgrade and possibly a catback just so I can hear it more.

IMG_20210114_123558.jpg

IMG_20210114_123605.jpg

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
3 months later I finally got around to installing my inlet hose, elbow, and turbo muffler delete. The stock airbox with everything else upgraded is better than most aftermarket intakes, and cheaper too.

Wasn't expecting much but I'm impressed. More responsive/a bit livelier and louder on the turbo/intake side as well. Stage 2 feels like the perfect amount of power for the street and is deceptively fast, especially with a tune like mine. Though thoughts of the brand new 911 Turbo S covering 0-60 in 2.2s gets me thinking...

Since my car sees an unfortunate amount of highway miles, a deep detail/touch up is next. Possibly ceramic coating.

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
I'd written this up already and then somehow deleted it.

In any event, I ended up ordering 18"x9" Enkei RPF1's plus Pilot Sport 4S to match.
Without going bigger turbo (nowhere near on my radar yet), there aren't many power mods left. Intake and exhaust are both cool but largely vanity mods, where the look/sound are the real appeal/benefit. An upgraded intercooler is, however, in the near future as I certainly need one. I wish the Adaptive Cruise Control didn't push FMIC's out of the equation.

The punishing ride quality inherent on the stock 19's has been wearing on me for a while. The RPF1's will remedy that and benefit acceleration/handling quite a bit, as they're ~17lbs. each, an inch wider, and wrapped in proper summer tires. Some negative camber is called for and as soon as I decide between OEM Clubsport S steering knuckles and camber plates, I'll pair the winner up with SuperPro's lower control arms. The stock DCC suspension is suiting me just fine for the time being, so I'm seeing how far negative camber and the right tires can get me. I can't wait. Between this and running an E30 blend, the car should feel pretty good. I'm hoping it sees a drag strip this season to see what it does.

Eventually, I will upgrade the fuel system to run full E85. That's where it will get interesting.

Reactions: RedBeard

Thread Info