Dear MAF screen, Thank you.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Without it I'd surely have lost my engine. I've been chasing down a lean code and a significant amount of knock on my setup for 3 months now. I never had any time to really look at it because of my business, wedding, honeymoon, house and subsequent move.

Well I'm settled in the house now, drove the car and I get a MAF code for low voltage. So I pop the MAF off and this is what I find:

tial.jpg

That's the plunger/ platter from my blow-off valve. This has been rattling around in my intake for who knows how long. Thank goodness for the MAF screen!

It looks like this came loose, the turbo began to over-spool and then started introducing oil into the intake which coated the MAF. I cleaned the MAF, put the platter back on and took it out for a ride. Problem solved. Knocked it back up to 16lbs and went WOT for the first time in 3 months. I missed it. Just in time for winter!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
any idea how the platter came off?
Crappy design? :smile: That's my best guess. There's a rod in the unit and the platter is screwed to that with no thread lock. The spring in valve is a little tight so it's flutters when it blows off after light boost. I assume that fluttering loosened the platter over time.

It's a tial 50mm. I'm ripping it and I'm going to replace it with a duck call. :D

Ryan, just got a bill for $3000 more in hospital bills for the little lady. I think that plan is laid to rest until winter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info