đź’¬ OT Dead Internet Theory

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
In the canada thread the other day I just wanted to find average income in canada, and average home prices. The google results are all trash with numbers that aren't even remotely close. That's a perfect example of something that is important and simple, that you can't easily ascertain because today's internet is complete unadulterated garbage.
i usually find stuff like this but it takes a bit of effort. i have not tried another search engine to see if any better. i would say the amount of times i think my google search is pretty straightforward but has had really frustrating results, even after edits, has grown over the past year.

do expect chatgpt/etc. to take over, all the better if your question can shoot you a link to a source table and compare other countries etc. it would be cool if it could answer complex things accurately, although i wouldn't trust it for a long time on that and would have to examine every source. like if i wanted to understand what taxes were associated with home ownership in sweden or private plus public health care costs in france or something.

Some older dude started telling me about tiktok mining data. I'm like "they all do that you know, the difference is the US controls the others." He didn't want to hear that for sure.
how does anyone not know this? and i'm still 100x more comfortable with a US company doing it than a chinese one. i expect the US company to just try and weaken my wallet, i expect many a chinese one to attempt to weaken the nation. americans being stupid are already doing a good enough job of that themselves, we don't need any outside help.

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
it's likely because most people's search engine history is shit like do cats like pancakes
Now I’m curious….
The answer is yes, yes they do 🤣

1000003070.gif

1000003071.gif

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Last night I wanted to look up the specific details of the 12 tranches in elon's pay package. I went through 10ish links and skimmed the same high level regurgitated garbage over and over with no specifics, then finally found this 2018 CNBC article through a hypertext link that I found in a vague and useless 2024 axios article. NONE of the articles made since his pay package was struck down really told you jack shit, except basically saying "a judge struck it down" across 5-6 paragraphs. Even WSJ's article didn't have any useful details.

The internet is fucking dead folks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/21/tes...tibilion-dollar-compensation-plan.htmlarticle

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I meant to reply to your post.

I really started noticing this around the early/mid 2010s. Going to nerd out here for a sec, but particularly the PC overclocking/Windows help area. When I got into building computers around 2005-2006, you could find ANYTHING related to PCs. Google, yahoo, whichever search engine you wanted, you'd find EXACTLY what you wanted. Now, even if you google a very specific blue screen code or DLL error, all you get is AI generated garbage that turns out to be 13 paragraphs that amounts to "restart and run updates." Again, this is a very specific nerdy example but there's many other examples like what Conrad found.

Now, this is also related to Google completely mouthfucking their algorithm to favor those who pay or have ads instead of authentic content. However, that's also part of the dead internet theory. Everything is ad/revenue based. If you don't pay, you don't get your search results UNLESS that person uses the right query/variables to find what they're looking for. So you're more likely to find AI generated garbage because that gets the algorithm and the content on the first page.

Like I said 10 years ago, giving the internet to average everyday people was a colossal fucking mistake.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021

I really started noticing this around the early/mid 2010s. Going to nerd out here for a sec, but particularly the PC overclocking/Windows help area. When I got into building computers around 2005-2006, you could find ANYTHING related to PCs. Google, yahoo, whichever search engine you wanted, you'd find EXACTLY what you wanted. Now, even if you google a very specific blue screen code or DLL error, all you get is AI generated garbage that turns out to be 13 paragraphs that amounts to "restart and run updates." Again, this is a very specific nerdy example but there's many other examples like what Conrad found.

Now, this is also related to Google completing mouthfucking their algorithm to favor those who pay or have ads instead of authentic content. However, that's also part of the dead internet theory. Everything is ad/revenue based. If you don't pay, you don't get your search results UNLESS that person uses the right query/variables to find what they're looking for. So you're more likely to find AI generated garbage because that gets the algorithm and the content on the first page.

Like I said 10 years ago, giving the internet to average everyday people was a colossal fucking mistake.
Can I add to this and say automotive info is getting harder to find as well? Its all behind a paywall.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

Now, this is also related to Google completely mouthfucking their algorithm to favor those who pay or have ads instead of authentic content. However, that's also part of the dead internet theory. Everything is ad/revenue based. If you don't pay, you don't get your search results UNLESS that person uses the right query/variables to find what they're looking for. So you're more likely to find AI generated garbage because that gets the algorithm and the content on the first page.

This. I’ve searched random errors at times and I’ll get 1,000 pages that literally spew the same thing, just very minor changes in the verbiage.

Reactions: sktchy

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The fact google "alphabet" and Facebook "meta" aren't considered monopolies shows how much of government assets they really are. Just look at all the companies they both have bought and you can start to get the picture.

I bet any money if they started telling the govt to pound sand on data Intel, they would be broken up as a company by congress in no time.

MirkosMangle

Regular
Jul 12, 2021
Absolutely, it's a constantly evolving landscape! Whether we're ready for it or not, changes are inevitable. From advancements in AI development to the emergence of huge texting platforms like https://clerk.chat/industries/real-estate/, each day brings new innovations that shape our lives and make things faster and more convenient. It's truly fascinating to witness how technology continues to transform the way we live and work.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Last night I wanted to look up the specific details of the 12 tranches in elon's pay package. I went through 10ish links and skimmed the same high level regurgitated garbage over and over with no specifics, then finally found this 2018 CNBC article through a hypertext link that I found in a vague and useless 2024 axios article. NONE of the articles made since his pay package was struck down really told you jack shit, except basically saying "a judge struck it down" across 5-6 paragraphs. Even WSJ's article didn't have any useful details.

The internet is fucking dead folks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/21/tes...tibilion-dollar-compensation-plan.htmlarticle

morgan wallen got arrested for tossing a barstool off a bar roof this weekend i heard on the radio... i wanted to see his mugshot cuz that normally cracks me up. something about celebrity's looking like normal people in their mugshots i dont know.

but every fucking site, every single fucking one, was sharing this picture. which is from like 4 years ago or something...

1712662453591.png

this is the one from this weekend.

1712662529549.png

• Haha
Reactions: sktchy

Thread Info