• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Replacing Brake Pads and Rotors: Should You Turn or Buy New?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
There's basically no options to buy just the front rotors. Drilled/slotted is completely unnecessary but it's cheaper? Weird

fuck shitazon

rockauto with the 5% cheaper with shipping. $241 shipped. same part number

1684860165610.png

1684860193973.png

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
CMNTMXR57 CMNTMXR57 I know some options likely do better but the few results I’ve seen posted (powerstop specifically) left the impression that it wasn’t worth the money to get less brake dust and worse brake performance. I would have to see some definitive results before I would take the chance.
The OE pads dust sooooo fucking bad. On both my HC and TH within a week I swapped out for EBC pads (red iirc).
Not sure of your driving habits, but I drove both of those like all my vehicles, hard af. I thought they were comparable to OE for stopping power

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, I could take the car around the block and need to wipe down the wheels again again there was so much dust. Whichever I got last (powerstop or EBC), for a street compound, it's no where near as bad. Obviously the performance was better being a fresh set.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The reds are ceramic. They are a street pad.
Yellows are more of a track pad.

The only reason I went with the red stuff pads was because I wanted to keep the rotors and pads the same manufacturer.
Guess that decision stuck me in the arse

You go to their site and it says to use bluestuff for track. :rofl: Their marketing is all over the place.

• Yikes
Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
At work on stuff that matters I use the Bosch power stop pads and good parts store rotors and don't have issues.

My own stuff it's getting ebay slotted rotors and the Detroit axle carbon fiber pads. You can't tell me they suck when they put up with towing and braking in hills without problems or brake fade.

That being said I've seen a few delaminated pads we've had put on at other shops where they've cheaped out among mismatched clips (keeping the pads from sliding), rotors (only contacting half the pad) antiseize on the caliper slide pins (this gets sticky and then the caliper won't move correctly, I like silicon paste or even dielectric) etc and it's more frequent than what you'd really think so your already ahead by doing it at home and saving the ridiculous markup retail chains see off this stuff and neglect to fix because it brings repeat business quicker.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info