Dash Cam Thread - Installer Locator/Help

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hey Guys,

As previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/automotive-discussions/162470-anyone-running-dash-camera.html

I'm replacing my current dash cam that failed, with a Blackvue 750-2CH.

Right now, I'm torn between the Power Magic Pro option or the battery pack option.

My main concern, is my Durango does not have a fuse panel in the cabin, and I don't want to tap into another power source inside the cabin. I tried locating firewall plugs and none of them are empty and would require some effort to run additional cables through those slots. I also don't want to drill a new hole and have to plug it.

So, does anyone know of a really good shop that is trustworthy that does interior electronic installs such as these? I'm willing to drive a bit far, but, I'd have to get it knocked out in a day.

If I go the battery pack option, I'll end of spending roughly $650 or so. If I go Power Magic Pro with install, based on what I've seen people charge, I'd be spending $750-$800+. I can definitely do the DIY version with the battery pack, but, hard-wiring with my skill level is out of the question. I'm too worried about zapping something or messing up a circuit or something else in the car.

Also down to toss some folks that are savvy some beer/food/kisses if you're able to help out and I can drive down to you. Don't like to ask for help and don't want to impose, but, tossing this out there if anyone is willing.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

-Chris

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Hey Guys,

As previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/automotive-discussions/162470-anyone-running-dash-camera.html

I'm replacing my current dash cam that failed, with a Blackvue 750-2CH.

Right now, I'm torn between the Power Magic Pro option or the battery pack option.

My main concern, is my Durango does not have a fuse panel in the cabin, and I don't want to tap into another power source inside the cabin. I tried locating firewall plugs and none of them are empty and would require some effort to run additional cables through those slots. I also don't want to drill a new hole and have to plug it.

So, does anyone know of a really good shop that is trustworthy that does interior electronic installs such as these? I'm willing to drive a bit far, but, I'd have to get it knocked out in a day.

If I go the battery pack option, I'll end of spending roughly $650 or so. If I go Power Magic Pro with install, based on what I've seen people charge, I'd be spending $750-$800+. I can definitely do the DIY version with the battery pack, but, hard-wiring with my skill level is out of the question. I'm too worried about zapping something or messing up a circuit or something else in the car.

Also down to toss some folks that are savvy some beer/food/kisses if you're able to help out and I can drive down to you. Don't like to ask for help and don't want to impose, but, tossing this out there if anyone is willing.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

-Chris

My new plan is to split the power source to the rear view mirror to the dash cam.

For parking mode I am going to add a power bank to the circuit inline with required connectors.

Nic

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Grabber
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list